ad: Alphaant-1

New users-Windows 10 setup now prevents local accounts

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 10 requires more resources than needed.

I have a Win 7 box that has 2 gig memory and it works just fine.

I will pick reliability over speed any day.

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to think the same.
    Let's see your WIN7 box with a LimeSDR-USB (Oops most will not support USB3.0 well enough) receiving 8 FM broadcast stations at the same time.
    The SDR revolution is coming upon us. WIN10 with the speed & faster peripheral comms makes a huge difference in this arena.

Now, I do still have a WINXP & a WIN7 machine with derail ports, but rarely use them.

Ed

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The only reason 10 if fast is because of the hardware it requires to operate.

If you put Win XP on a 10 box with as much power, XP will run circles around 10 if the software is made to run on XP.

I have some smoking hot gaming machines that I would not screw up with Win 10.

Use what works for you. Win 7 still rocks on, And Win 98SE and XP still works. :)

I do not need to keep up with Mr. Jones. All of my automobiles are 20+ years old and I can still get parts and work on them.

Yes, I am a Old Fart, But I am not grumpy and I do not wear Depends. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. AA7QQ

I predict that you will enjoy your new WIN10 machine. Give it some time. I have had less issues with WIN10 than any other OS, per the time I have had it.
    Also, some WIN10 processors will not work on WIN7 & down.

Ed

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. KLONDIKEMIKE

KLONDIKEMIKE QRZ Member

Big whoop. What is bragging about your laptop got to do with the thread topic?

6. KLONDIKEMIKE

KLONDIKEMIKE QRZ Member

Thanks for sharing this information. Too bad one has to go through these hoops to build a local account. Never had this problem with Windows 7. Same old, same old answer as other post that was extolling the virtues of Win10.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  7. AA7QQ

Almost every single thread on this site morphs. Please get used to it.
    What I was trying to explain (In response to another's post) was that my old junk with vastly more processor, RAM & extremely more power usage does not compare to my new laptop.
    You are probably new on this site, due to not having a callsign & I am not sure you are even a ham.
    So, coming on here & bashing members will not get you very far.

Good day.

Ed