ad: elecraft

New users-Windows 10 setup now prevents local accounts

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the scoop. It is fairly easy to create a local account with Windows 10 Pro, not so easy to do it in Windows 10 Home, which forces setup of a Microsoft account. This changed with the May Update, 1903. Why a local account, rather than a Microsoft account? More privacy, for one...no eMail, phone number, or Skype required to be divulged during setup.

The first article from How-To Geek on Oct 1st confirms the issue. The 2nd article on Oct. 3 gives the work-around.

https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/confirmed-windows-10-setup-now-prevents-local-account-creation/

https://www.howtogeek.com/442792/how-to-create-a-local-account-while-setting-up-windows-10/

In my opinion, How-To Geek has gotten a lot better since more authors, including Dave McKay have joined; he covers Linux.

Ted, KX4OM

AG5CK likes this.
  2. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I had this issue with my new laptop last month. By the time I started Googling for a solution I had already connected to my wifi. I ended up unplugging the router to get past it.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So if you had a account setup previously it just goes Poof ?

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I already had an account. Win10 Pro. Just did the 1903 2 days ago. No issue at all.

Ed

NE1U likes this.
  5. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Micro$oft:

STOP MESSING WITH MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

KC8RLU

I wonder if Micro$oft would be guilty of violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986.

KLONDIKEMIKE and KK4NSF like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Pro is the way do go. I never used a home version of Windows. Home is missing a lot of good needed stuff.

Home has a lot of trial software and BS that I do not need or want.

I am getting a new Dell with Win 10 Pro next week. I hope I am not pissadointed.

I want to feal the pain others have with Win 10, Before I put Linux on my new computer. :)

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

this is just a small part of Microsoft slowly but surely removing user privacy options, in favor of their data-gathering operations. If you take the time to track back through their changes, you will see that they have been steadily tightening the thumbscrews since WIN 8 was introduced, and probably earlier. While Linux is far from perfect, most distros are a lot more private / less intrusive than Windows.

You really should read "No Place to Hide" by Greenwald. Since it was written, things have gotten worse by a factor of at least 10.

KE8FGB likes this.
  8. AA7QQ

I have the hex core 2,2 GHzDell G3 laptop with the 1060 video card (Adds Thunderbolt). 16 G of RAM.
    It wipes the snot off of my Dell T-5500 with 2 Xeon quad core 2.2 GHz & 72 Gig of RAM.

Ed

9. CANKANY

CANKANY QRZ Member

That does sound good.

10. AA7QQ

It was $800 as a Dell refurb. Came with 8 Gigs of RAM & a 1TB spinny disk. I added another 8 Gigs of RAM & an NVME drive. Those two mods doubled the benchmark test. I would say it was mostly the NVME that did most of it.

Ed