ad: M2Ant-1

New toy...

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N2DTS, Mar 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been running a ranger on 75m and there are some perks to low power. When the band changes and I start to fade away people are more inclined to cut the qso short. When I run 300 watts they keep talking while I struggle to hear them.

AC0OB likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, the weaker they are, the longer they talk. Life's too short for pissweakers.

W1BR likes this.
  3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

On the plus side, only stronger signals will qso with you if you run lower power.
    When I run 300+ watts, I often have a very weak station call me.
    But most of the reports I get are good as far as signal strength goes.
    And I always keep the transmissions short when running low power, shorter transmissions are good .

4. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that a box of extra toasty Cheez-its I see? (my favorite)

5. N2DTS

Just regular cheez its.

6. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the day real hams had to make their own cheeze-its.

This tragedy is all because there's no CW requirement anymore.

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like a fun little radio. But, I looked as several reviews and spec sheets. They all says something like this:

New RS-928 plus 10W HF SDR Transceiver RX:1.8-30MHz TX:All HAM HF BANDS,Full Modes: SSB(J3E),CW,AM(RX Only),SAM,FM, FREE-DV

Nothing I saw says they are capable of running AM transmit. How are you guys doing that?:cool:

8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Lance's Peanut Butter crackers are my mind-soothing snacks when replacing those rectangular El-Menco micas in vintage tube gear. :D

Pheel

9. N2DTS

It transmits AM just fine, its not great sounding and it only does about 2 watts carrier.
    I have made contacts on AM with it though.
    Its a great receiver and a very good portable CW and ssb rig at 10 watts out.
    The 928 plus has a built in battery and more memory then the 918.

Mine had the contact in the power jack go bad so I had to rewire the power input to bypass the switch built in the coaxial power connector, but otherwise its been trouble free. You can update the software but many people have a lot of trouble with that as there are different versions of the radio.
    I am happy with the way mine works so I see no need to upgrade.
    Its an amazing thing that is very easy to use and the RX is very good at moderate signal levels, it can not handle really strong local signals but it works much better then things like the rsp1 and other inexpensive sdr receivers.
    Sync AM works very well and it also tells you (displays) the actual frequency it has sync'd up to.
    Audio line in and out, headphone out, plus the built in speaker (ok for CW).

10. N2DTS

Also, I traded the flex 3000 in on a 5000 with the dual receivers and the built in antenna tuna.
    The dual receivers will allow diversity which should be interesting.
    The great thing about the 5000 is all the ins and outs.
    Three, yes three antenna ports plus an RX antenna input, balanced line in, and a bunch of other stuff.
    Line out, powered speaker out (another line out), headphone output and another line out on an RCA jack.
    Unlike some radios like the icom 7300 the built in tuner actually will tune the typical antenna, and the audio response on rx and tx can be set to whatever you want.

Prices are low and the 5000 is better in some respects then the new radios in that you can set the bandwidth to whatever you want.