New toy...

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N2DTS, Mar 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received an RS-928 plus (clone of an English QRP sdr) radio.
    Its a 15 watt all mode rig 160 to 10 meter sdr rig in a hand held package with built in battery.
    Its got a color touch screen with spectrum display and/or waterfall.
    The filter goes out to 20 KHz (10 KHz audio) on AM if you want.
    Its got sync detection with selectable sideband as well, audio seems great, the real time color screen is very good and useful, its got audio line out and line in jacks, and the audio also sounds great out of the headphones.

Not very useful on AM TX at about 2 watts carrier and 3 KHz audio but a neat receiver.

2. N2DTS

[​IMG]

Great AM reception and fidelity, built in battery lasts a long time, also listened to some CW on 80 and 40 meters on it, seems to be the Novice Rig Roundup ?
    Not a very good picture but the display is fantastic.

3. N2DTS

Been working people on 80 and 40 meters with this rig.
    No it does not sound great, but it does 5 watts carrier and loads of audio on it.
    That is running it hard, but it does it and people hear it.
    [​IMG]

The RX is as good as I could ask, it seems to do better then the sdr-iq and just as good as the homebrew RX which is my AM rx benchmark.
    Its an easy to use, great sounding RX with a transmitter built in.

Just worked KA3STN and WB3FAU on it running 4 watts carrier out.

KD0DQZ and N4FZ like this.
  4. N2DTS

Picked up a used Flex 3000 (my 3rd one) and a new used computer.
    Really low prices for both, an I7 8 gig with a solid state drive and a 2 TB normal hard drive and man is it fast.
    I think its the solid state hard drive that makes it boot so fast.
    Runs the flex at 6 to 8% cpu.
    Loaded the mod monitor software, and a bunch of programs to run the sdr-iq if I want, and sdr sharp, plus the standard powersdr and the KE9NS version.
    Seems to be real time as far as latency goes.

The 3000 is a great buy these days. You cant get much better of a receiver and the AM transmitter can sound very good.

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Just use the TX function as a carrier generator to serve as a VFO for a real AM transmitter with its own audio section.

You didn't tell us how much it cost.

6. N2DTS

Yes, I can do that, I would be able to put the 813 rig on 160 if I wanted. That rig only has a homebrew 80/40 meter exciter.

But you can make plenty of contacts at 25 watts carrier.
    I have had qso's on 80 and 40 meters with good signal levels reported.

Makes a nice band scope, a great receiver, a good 6 meter rig, a good all band exciter.
    I picked it up with a high end sound card that has a firewire port on it (I did not use that card) for $600.00.
    When you look at something like the icom 7300 at almost twice the price, the antenna tuner works much better, the RX and TX can go
    as low and high as you want (unlike the 7300) and you can put everything on a big (or huge) screen.

For that sort of stuff, the 3000 seems like the best buy out there.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That may be okay if you have a lot of hams not too far away, but in my experience, at least half the time the fellows with 25 w. from a plastic radio are workable, but tolerable only for a brief QSO because their signal level is unenjoyable.

That said, I always thought that the small plastic radios or one of those Lowe's receivers, could replace a car dashboard radio. Mount some kind of untuned antenna where the stock low Z car broadcast rx antenna is, and you can drive around reading the mail on 75 or 160 m. Some company, Panasonic?, makes a car broadcast rx designed to fit where the medium wave AM / VHF FM stock radio goes, but the Panasonic set covers shortwave also. You just don't see them in the U.S. because they're not marketed here. The only problem is they're designed for s.w. broadcast and don't have a BFO for slopbucket and CW.

8. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

So, that little transceiver comes with a separate removable sound card, just like a computer? If so, I would assume the high-end card makes it more expensive than would the "standard" sound card? Or do you mean you picked up a high-end sound card for your computer in the same deal with the radio?

9. N2DTS

The sound card has nothing to do with the radio.
    In this case, the PO used the firewire port on it to hook the radio up to the computer.
    The card went in his computer, I have just a firewire card in my computer.
    All computers have sound cards built in these days, but like video cards, you can buy a much better one to plug in.
    Wide bandwidth (200 KHz) and low noise, high sample rates, etc.

• Complete Cinematic Surround Sound with DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX Movies
    • Multi-Environment audio -- up to four simultaneous environments processed in real time
    • Exclusive Creative THX Setup Console provides accurate audio calibration for a precise speaker
    • Superior quality 24-bit/192kHz audio, ultra-realistic game effects, and studio quality music settings
    • The only available PC platform for Advanced Resolution 24-bit/96kHz 5.1 surround sound.

I have never seen a sound card with a firewire interface on it, but firewire was/is used in audio applications
    as its fast and low latency.
    From what I read, using a sound card unloads the audio from your cpu and does it on the sound card, which
    makes your computer even faster (gaming guys).

I think this card is somewhat out of date...

The flex 3000 is made of metal and is built in Texas, but yes, its just a 25 watt radio.
    Its a big step up from a 3 to 5 watt radio, and people heard me on those as well.
    Clark (N1BCG) is not close, but not far, and reported I was 30 over S 9.

Maybe its a good thing, as I tend to NOT make long old buzzard transmissions at low power, although there is a rule
    you are supposed to....

10. N2DTS

Been making lots of contacts on 80 and 40 meters with the flex 3000 running 20 watts out.
    Everyone seems to hear me fine.
    That is kind of amazing.