New Tower Replacement

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by AC0OB, Jul 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Static Arrester at Top.JPG While not amateur related, this is AM related and thanks to the Moderators for removing the old thread.

Tower Construction of new guyed 1/4 Wave tower. This tower replaces the tower that fell and was the third tower for the dog-leg array only used at night. Later that evening we had a tornado outbreak of 32 tornados.

New WMT Tower Going Up 2 Enhanced.jpg

These New Tower Cranes are amazing; they pick up a section, hoist it and then it is bolted in place.

Tower Crane Enhanced.jpg

The old triangular 300' self-supporting tower of about 0.18 wavelength from about 1930 that was blown down by 130 mph winds from the Derecho about a year ago, and before it was dismantled.

WMT Tower Down.JPG

Pheel

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    K0UO likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I wonder how the cost of renting that crane compares to that of a crew hoisting up section at a time using a gin pole. One or more workers still has to climb to the top to bolt each section in place.

3. AC0OB

Good question but I would imagine that the labor costs of using a gin pole would be pitted against the reduced time of construction and the crane rental.

This tower went up in less than a day even with wind gusts of 35 mph. Vertical Bridge did the actual tower work.

I was going to comment on the first picture as well before timeout. They installed all new static arrestors as well.

Pheel

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cranes are the most cost Efficient way to go up to about 250 to 300feet
    By far the safest and quickest.
    It doesn't really take too big of a Crane to put up a 180 to 200 footer, tower or monopole. And you can do the job in one day.

5. AC0OB

Apparently this crane could go to at least 450 feet because this tower was 420 feet tall.

Pheel

K0UO likes this.
  6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they salvaged the leg insulators on the old free standing tower. Those things are super expensive.

Funny thing about AMs these days; in some places towers go up. In others they come down. 1070 in Indianapolis, a 6 tower DA, 50KW day 10KW night is going dark. 70 acre site sold, towers coming down. On the other hand, a 1 KW with 30 ground conductivity in a part of the country that still has a lot of AM listeners can make a simulcast FM almost worthless. It's all about your signal, listeners, & the value of the land you're sitting on balanced with revenue and expenses.

AC0OB and K0UO like this.
  7. K0UO

There are a lot of 450 mobile Cranes now days.
    With all the large wind farms they all use the Big mobile Cranes 400 to 500 foot.

AC0OB likes this.
  8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

That's how I acquired the base insulator for mine. Salvaged from a fallen broadcast tower. The bottom sections of the tower, up to the first or second set of guys was still standing; the rest fell because of a failed guy anchor for the upper sections. It had literally rusted in two right at ground surface. They chose to replace the entire tower, base insulator and all, instead of re-building the old one. I paid them $100 for the old insulator. At that time a brand new insulator made to fit my tower, a puny little Rohn 25G, was selling for $525 (1980 dollars).

The mounting holes didn't line up, since the BC tower was larger than the 25G, so I had an adaptor plate made at a machine shop, with 3 holes to match the tower base and 3 more to match the insulator. They then tapped the holes with threads to bolt the adaptor to the insulator, and the the tower to the adaptor.

Fig. 1.JPG Fig. 2.JPG Fig. 6.JPG

WE4E, AD5HR and K0UO like this.
  9. AC0OB

Formerly Rural land up here that is being developed has an average sale price of $8k/acre, which for a 70 acre plot would amount to $560,000.00. Our local airport has to pay about ~ $16,000.00/acre to acquire land for expansion.

Exactly. We have a number of 0.250 to 1kW stations up here doing very well because we have "re-grounded them," updated their transmitters to AM-1A's or J1000's, upgraded their audio chains to transmit audio from about 70 Hz to (at least) 9.5kHz, and broadbanded or replaced towers and ATU's.

But it takes more than just decent equipment to keep a station in operation. You have to have station personnel committed to the community. Once the community sees and hears that, you will get community support.

Pheel

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  10. K0UO

A great find