New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by SP3L, Jun 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7WS

N7WS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd love to try it but my Excel is 2000, which works fine with AutoEZ, Zplots and anything else I care to do. But I'm not about to pay Microsoft for Office 365. What are my legal options?

Wes N7WS

2. AC6LA

AC6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang tight, Wes. I may be able to come up with a version that will work with XL2000-2003. That's going to take some non-trivial changes to several of the macros that handle the buttons and check boxes. In the meantime see post #8 above.

Dan, AC6LA

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

works fine with LibreOffice Calc 6.3 - I had to enable macros. LibreOffice is free and can operate with many file formats.

Years ago Microsoft made available free reader software for .docx and .xlsx fioles. I wonder if that is still available? Probably.

Anyway, what a fabulous spreadsheet!! Thanks very much, gents.

4. AC6LA

Thanks for that tip. Looks like recent versions of LibreOffice Calc now have at least limited support for Excel macros. More info here.

Have you tried all the various drop-downs, check boxes, and buttons on the sheet tabs? For the benefit of others please let us know which (if any) do not seem to be working. The LibreOffice support page above states "Since support for VBA is not complete, you may have to edit the VBA code and complete the missing support with LibreOffice Basic objects, statements and functions."

Dan, AC6LA

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a legal copy of Excel Home and Student 2016 from eBay a year or two ago. Installed and works fine.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

oops ... red face! all drop downs immediately pop up an error dialog, which says "BASIC runtime error.
    '1'

Type: com.sun.star.container.NoSuchElementException

whatever that means. the highlighted line is:

LI = ActiveSheet.Shapes("fcboADrop3").ControlFormat.ListIndex

7. AC6LA

Well, at least we now know that the LibreOffice folks are not kidding when they say "support for VBA is not complete". :rolleyes:

Dan, AC6LA

8. SV1IYF

SV1IYF Ham Member QRZ Page

9. SP3L

SP3L Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not obvious how to model such an inductor. If you had measurement results of at least one such inductor, it would help. See K9YC's or GM3SEK's paper. I would need something like that to validate the correctness of the inductor model.

10. WA4PSC

WA4PSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for this tool! I am seeing identical results for mix 31 and mix 43 2.4" OD x 0.5" h toroids, which I do not see when I actually wind them here. Can you verify?

Thanks!
    Howie / WA4PSC