New to WSJT, USB port keeps changing

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by KI7YFP, Jan 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KI7YFP

KI7YFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Older Mac running Sierra with an Icom 7100. I'm connecting directly with a USB cable. Seems to work fine, but every time I start WSJT-X, it always comes up with an error that it can't communicate with HamLib.

Usually there is a another set of ports, just the same as before, but with a number at the end. I'm not at the computer right now, but it is something like:

/dev/cu.tty/USB-to-Serial
    /dev/cu.tty/USB-to-Serial6
    /dev/cu.tty/USB-to-Serial8
    /dev/cu.tty/USB-to-Serial14

usually I just need to go the the last number, but sometimes it goes back to the one without a number. Basically, I just click one and hit Test CAT, and one always works.

Am I missing something, I've searched for this issue, but didn't find anything. Is this just me, or is this just something that happens?

Thanks,
    Brett

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It is a "feature" of the SILabs chipset in macOS. If you power off the rig completely (remove power from power supply) and or reboot the computer, you'll find that the port number will increment next time you power on. The simple solution is to not completely remove power from the rig and/or not to shutdown the computer between uses.

Some software is programmed to adjust for this and use some of W7AY's tools to compensate: other's aren't. HAMLIB isn't. For example, MacLoggerDX uses symlinks to adjust based upon the serial number of the chip to provide a stable port id. See https://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX Help/mldxfc_radio_rotor.html#connection for some information.

3. KI7YFP

KI7YFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! The computer normally stays on, but I have been turning off my power supply.