New To Transmitting CW: Head to Fist

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KE8EAS, Sep 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

But don't learn bad habits.....So my advice would be look them up. Don't ARRL publish these? Our RSGB certainly do.

2. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've just looked at that link Josh. I'm afraid I found that most of what you look up varies from place to place with various bits of myth thrown in.

For example:-
    It mentions you shouldn't send dit dit at the end of your final exchange as its illegal because you do it with out your callsign. Really? Ofcom licensing conditions in the UK specifically state now that you only have to identify your station when practical - it was a minimum of every 15 minutes. Whether that reflects licensing regs in your country I don't know.

Also one of the example exchanges gives a reply to an initial QSO as ....................sld cpy ur rst 589. (Solid Copy your RST etc.,) Why do they suggest adding 'sld cpy' when thats really what the RST report is for?

Don;t worry, once you get a little more experienced and comfortable on air it really won't be problem.

4. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you on the dit dit at the end. In the US, we are supposed to give out call every 10 minutes andat the end of our final transmission. It is obvious when we send our call then dit dit who is sending it. It seems they leave this bit a little vague for practicality sake. I've been on the air a lot since I started this thread and have become much more comfortable.

As long as I stick to my copyable speed, I'm fine.

Thanks for the info!

5. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

It is interesting how things evolve and years ago the "dit dit" was considered lid behavior...but accepted today.

Personally I don't do it because it seems a bit "tacky"...but probably because of when I started out. :)

I'm not sure there really are anymore strict rules for CW/morse procedure?

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

"Shave and a haircut two bits" at end of the QSO is historic.
    It's been shortened to "two bits" now a days.
    I'd be more worried about sending B K when you need to send K or R for end or reply.
    That's a modern day habit perpetuated by a CW club. That to me is most Tacky.