New To Transmitting CW: Head to Fist

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KE8EAS, Sep 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you won't believe it, but I have gotten better at my problem and you won't guess what it could possibly have been:

1 slowing down...

2 practice.

Had a great QSO for what seemed like an hour and I got stuck only a few times. Very happy with my progress. Persistence beats resistance! Except, of course, for Ohms law..

W9AFB and K7TRF like this.
  2. KZ8O

KZ8O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, meant BT not BM..... Besides needing to bring up my recognition quickness, I'll need to remember that there are "combo" characters too!

Thanks,

Jim

3. KE8EAS

The big ones are DE (This is), BT (uh, um), KN (back to you ONLY, break-in are not welcome), BK (break), AS (end transmission), and ES are sometimes ran together quickly (shorthand for "and").

Get the first 3 down and you're golden. The others are less common. Now, most people use K to turn the conversation over, I tend to use KN. Not because other people try to break in, which is quite rare, but more so because when I turn the conversation back over it's after I've sent my call. So " (other person's call) DE KE8EAS, KN". I don't want people to get confused and think my call has an extra letter on the end.

This is especially useful for people who have one or multiple K's in their call. If it's the last letter, even worse! This just eliminates any room for confusion.

Hope that helps!

4. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DE is not a prosign it is actually the word de from French meaning from or of. If you run it together to turn DE into a prosign it becomes _... which is B

Other commonly used prosigns to add to your list is SK ..._._ for Silent Key or final transmission and AR ._._. meaning end of message in net operations but also used by some at the end of a CQ instead of K as it can be argued that K means over which implies another known operator at the other end. Some hams combine AR and K at the end of a CQ which I guess works as well but more and more often I'm hearing hams end a CQ with KN which makes no sense at all.

KE8EAS likes this.
  5. KE8EAS

You're right, DE isn't so much run together but more run quicker with less space in between.

At the end of a CQ, I usually stress the K with longer dahs and dit. Make it more obvious. Ending a CW with KN? odd...

6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One you never hear anymore is "CL," which is how pretty much all of us used to sign our last transmission before we turned off the radios.

(Later.) Come to think of it, though, CL was not a prosign, just an abbreviation for "closing," as in "closing down." The C and L were sent with normal spacing between them, like "DE" or "CQ."

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  7. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Negatory. DE should be normal spacing.

You mean ".... ending a CQ with..."

I supposed you can use longer dits and dahs on the "K" if you use a straight key or bug, but not with electronic keying, and there is no need to. It's not really necessary, and the best ops don't.

I think the beginners ought to strive for exact, precise operating, correct procedures, become a habitual user of proper techniques, procedures. Why be sloppy?

8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

AS is not "end transmission", it means "wait". End of transmission is AR. ES (NOT sent as one character; two separate letters, means "and". When I had my first few QSOs - back in 1959 - I didn't know the ES, and some of my copy didn't make much sense. "DX ES 73"? when I asked my elmer, he said he'd had the same thing happen to him at first, and explained that the other station was saying "Lots of DX, and best regards".

Another abbreviation might be "VY", meaning "very".

KE8EAS likes this.
  9. KE8EAS

My mistake on the AS, someone must have told me wrong. ES usually comes at me pretty quick, it must just seem like it's quickly run together. I need more air time!!

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

If ES were run together like a prosign, it would be completely indistinguishable from H. There must be at least a little extra space between the first dit and the last three.

Likewise, DE requires some extra space between the last two dits, or it becomes indistinguishable from B.

Sometimes I do hear both of these sent with a bit less space than the sender puts between other letters.