ad: wmr-1

New to Sat. operations

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KC2ZWX, Nov 17, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC2ZWX

KC2ZWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys,..I'm in the process of putting up another 40ft. tower to put a 12 and 17 meter 3el. beam on and thought it would be nice to put up some sat. antennas as well. I have a m2 7el. 2meter beam and also a m2 70cm. 11el beam that I haven't used. I would put them on a cross boom and elevation rotator. My questions are 1: How high above the hf beam?
    2:How long of cross boom..... separation between 2m and 70cm. antennas?
    3: metallic or non-metallic cross boom?
    4: Any weight, wind loads, snow load concerns because of height above hf antenna?
    Does this sound like a good idea...or not. Any insight or ideas or answers would be greatly appreciated
    Thank You...Cris KC2 ZWX .....73

2. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris,

It sounds like you have a good pair of antennas to use. I'm using a 7 element 2m yagi (2M7SSB) horizontally polarized with a 7' fiberglass crossboom to another 12 element 70cm yagi (432-12EME) vertically polarized. You don't need to use a non metallic cross-boom.

I'm not an expert by any means on wind load and snow/ice mitigation, so I'm only commenting that your choice of beams will likely do well for satellites, assuming you're using good feedlines.

3. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Was going to make some comments about height and obstructions, but I just saw your two story house... never mind. o_O I don't have anything tall around and my antennas are mounted at 10' so I save money and attenuation loss with shorter feedlines.

My only difference from what Clayton said, might be concern over mounting the 2m horizontal at mid-boom on a metallic crossboom. The metal of the crossboom is going to be in the plane of the yagi. If you swapped it and mounted the 2m vertical and the UHF horizontal, would not be a problem because that M2 UHF is end mounted. - The advantage of horizontally mounting the 2m is reduced noise and better reception, so you have to decide what works best for you. I have both my yagis vertical and I hear 2m just fine, but I'm in a rural location.

My crossboom is 5 feet, but again they are both vertical and I also have diplexers acting as band filtering before the preamps. You can see what I have on my QRZ page with details in some of my older blog posts.

Good luck!

Kevin N4UFO

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015