New to QRZ - confused about Swapmeet proceedure

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KD9NOO, Aug 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD9NOO

KD9NOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi. There is a piece of gear I would like to purchase. I sent the seller an XML mssg but no response, although it appears seller has logged in since I sent mssg. I then added my email in a second message and it appears the moderator pulled that message. Sorry if I'm not doing something right but I'm not sure what I am doing ... other than attempting to buy an FT-891. I read through Rules and think I'm not screwing up ;-)

Please advise and thanks.

73, Mark
    KD9NOO

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Moderators can't "pull" email messages. They have no visibility nor access to your private email in any way. So you did something wrong. Many sellers list their email on their QRZ Bio page. But you can also send them a "Private Message" - simply click on their call sign in their avatar box, and click "Start a Conversation".

Hope this helps

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

XML message ?

Plain text should work fine.

KA2FIR likes this.
  4. KD9NOO

KD9NOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys. Apparently I made a Profile Post the first time. Not the same thing as a PM. Still learning my way around!

5. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing that makes this confusing, in my opinion, is that what most of the social media platforms call "DM" (Direct Message) or "PM" (Private Message), is instead called "CONVERSATIONS" here on QRZ.com. This is the way the website software was written, and QRZ makes good use of this otherwise fine system.

In my experience, many QRZ users don't participate in the Conversations, perhaps they also aren't aware the process even exists.

Because you (and I) have not passed through the "VERIFIED" process, we can't post a question or reply directly to a For Sale listing, so our options for reaching out to a seller are either
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

There really is no such thing as a Private Message on a forum, Moderators can read them.

Conversations work here on QRZ, If a user has them enabled and allows them.

7. KG6BRG

KG6BRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I always just use the email that's on the OP's QRZ page, and say that I'm interested in your item, is it still for sale? That way you can do email to email without logging in to QRZ to look for a PM. I never seem to see those in a timely fashion. Most hams here do have an email address on QRZ, if not they should. cheers, scott.