New to QRP - what fun!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by VE3BXG, Jan 23, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a ham for about 18 months now. Have a QRP rig - an ELAD FDM-DUO with max power of about 8W when running CW. I almost always use it with an amp (about 200 W). But this morning just for fun I decided to leave the amp turned off. My QTH is Ottawa, Ontario. The time was around 1630 UTC. I pointed my antenna (a hexbeam at 45 feet) at Europe and started calling CQ on CW on 20 meters. In under 30 minutes I had QSOs with England, France, the Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland. Greatest distance was about 6000 km. Signal reports ranged from 339 to 579. In one of the QSOs the guy at the other end was running 200 W to a SteppIR. I heard him at 579 - the same signal report he gave me. I'll have to make a habit of this!

2E0KLX, MM3ENM, K9CPO and 2 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QRP can be very addictive!!

Dave
    W7UUU

MM3ENM and KK4NSF like this.
  3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been CWing for about 18 months as well, much of the time QRP. It is fun indeed! 73, Brady

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have a whole "stable" of QRP CW rigs I rotate: Heathkit HW-7, HW-8, HW-9, plus Elecraft K1, Elecraft KX1, several flavors of "Pixie" (the little Chinese rigs), three homebrew QRP transceivers, and a uBitx

It's fun to pull one off the shelf and patch it in. I'm slowly but surely working towards a W.A.S. on each one of the. Right now the closest to the goal is the Heathkit HW-9 (with WARC)

Dave
    W7UUU

MM3ENM likes this.
  5. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

You got into it the right way - on CW, and with a beam up 45 feet :)

Needless to say it can be done on less.. but the less you do it with the more luck you need, in having the ionosphere's cooperation!

Anyway welcome to the club. We'll have you pushing 500mW into a wire dipole on 160 in no time.

K9CPO, MM3ENM, W7CJD and 1 other person like this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you are talking!:D

MM3ENM likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It really is a lot of fun isn't it. :)

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yep! QRP is GREAT. Not long ago I hit North Dakota from Mobile AL on 5w SSB. The guy in the other end was shocked when he learned I was QRP. Of course I was beaming with pride, but I played it cool. "Yeah" I said "I guess the ionosphere is just right today".

MM3ENM and KC8VWM like this.
  9. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we need to start a brag thread :p I caught openings on 20 yesterday from Austin to California and nevada. NV was to another QRP station, so I was 5W SSB to his 15, both of us on low antennae, and easy copy besides occasional QSB!

It's always fun when you get "well you're.. five by one.. I mean I can hear you fine but you're not even nudging the meter"! Makes me feel like an RF Ninja.

MM3ENM likes this.
  10. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

A brag thread?

Here's a few recent QRP outings in the last month or so (some on bands that some think are dead).

KC8VWM and MM3ENM like this.