New to QRP, what else should I get?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W1SRR, Dec 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

When i received mine there was a contest on the go and made 3 contacts within 30mins with 3 stateside stations on phone using my 5w

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I have. It beats the mag loop, but I prefer the portability and convenience of the loop. I can fold it and put it in my backpack when hiking through the wilderness. I try to keep things as light and minimal as possible. Don't want to hire porters for the gear, hihi.

3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you! Now it is clear. Perhaps, I will continue to use wires, fixed on the branches of trees. Thank God, in Ukraine you can always find a suitable tree.

Attached Files:

• MTR.jpg
      MTR.jpg
      File size:
      177.1 KB
      Views:
    KD8ZM likes this.
  4. W8NLZ

W8NLZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow: Good replies. They all address the main issue: QRP presents a broad set of challenges. That's part of the fun!

I will just address the Buddipole. (a) In Florida, salt water is your friend and may be your best bet. (b) Use a simple vertical - 4 x 22" solids + coil + 9' whip. Total length is ~ 13' which is a good limit for an unguyed vertical in the wind. Add two 1/4 wave radials at the Versatee stretched out to 3' poles. (c) Pretune the antenna (coil taps) in your yard so you can deploy in the field with no fuss.

Find a spot to plant your antenna in or beside salt water. You will need a variety of masts depending on conditions (solid, bog, in water). The mast should be adjustable so you can set up from a standing position, then elevate the Versatee to 8" AGL. I use the Buddipole mast & tripod or a couple of military fiberglass tent poles slipped over a sharp-pointed wooden dowel driven in the ground.

Then pray to the propagation gods, avoid contest hours, and be amazed at your success.
    Ed, W8NLZ