New to QRP, what else should I get?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W1SRR, Dec 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This time of the year Colorado Mountains are windy and unbearably cold...not to mention the snow and ice on the road to get there. I think I would like a nice warm beach at the moment. You are correct about mountains being good in the summer. I enjoy putting up an inverted vee with very good results at higher elevations running either an FT-817(5W) or an FT-891(100W).

2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

US7IGN and WD0BCT like this.
  3. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

In ZL we have beaches galore. God's own rf amplifiers. Must be the silicon in them, hihi. Solid State Amplifiers.

KD8ZM likes this.
  4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That, BTW, is not at all unusual weather on Mt. Washington. Someone dies up there almost every year. "It's only 6000 ft, what could happen?"

5. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bet more people die at the beach. We used to have one or two a year at Fort Fisher due to riptides until they shut it down. Beaches are beastly places: humid, all that sand, snot nosed kids, and old men with metal detectors all over the place. Not a nice place for field comms. Give me a windy mountain any day.

(slightly tongue-in-cheek),

Al

KD8ZM likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks.

I just ordered one. :)

Seems everyone is saying there is a tremendous improvement in your signal quality. An observed 1 S-Unit increase is nothing to sneeze about either.

You go from sounding like you're signal is weak and down in the background noise, to being right there in the forefront like you just switched on an amplifier.

32 second demo:

Except there's no amplifier or no extra battery pack to carry around either to run one for that matter. This little black box is probably the next best thing to having one though.

Can't wait for this to arrive so I try it out.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    M3ONL likes this.
  7. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

A purchase you won't regret, i'd never be without mine..

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The package arrived in USA today from our friends in Germany, courtesy of the Deutsche Post.

DYC-8x7.jpg

The printed user manual included with this kit inside is outstanding. Even the double box packaging was very nicely done. Guess I better get busy and put it all together now. :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    M3ONL likes this.
  9. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

Look forward to hearing your opinion when you've tested it on air

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I must admit that I ordered a pre-assembled unit from SOTA Beams that arrived this past week. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't used it yet but will post the results when I do. I've been busy learning how to configure and use a new HT that I also received during the same time period.

KC8VWM and M3ONL like this.