New to QRP and have a question

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KF5RZG, Feb 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF5RZG

KF5RZG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for reading my post.
    Probably the dumbest question of the day...but:
    I received a 40M MFJ Cub QRP rig for Christmas that I am just getting around to using.
    I like it, and have made a few contacts on it, but my question is:

How do you know what frequency you are on? Is there some sore of add on device you can buy to tell your current frequency?

I am only a general , and the cub covers general and Extra.
    I've been using the Reverse beacon network to help figure out what freq I am transmitting on, but that is not going to be practical when I take this camping.
    I also don't know what Freq to put in the Log book when I make a contact.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

You can add one of those frequency counter readout devices, one example of which is http://qrpguys.apps-1and1.com/digital-dial-frequency-counter. There are many choices out there.

You can have some one transmit a signal on known frequencies to establish how closely the dial is calibrated. I had a 9020 for years that was sort of close. You can transmit with the Cub using a dummy load, and listen on another receiver to check it out, too.

You need not fret about exact frequencies, as long as you know you are in the band. It might be nice for historical analysis but is not required, nor is keeping a log, for that matter, but most of us dol

3. KF5RZG

KF5RZG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you very much sir. apart from my the log concern, I wanted to ensure I wasn't on Extra band since it covers both, but I think I can "Eyeball" the selector to know where my "No GO" zone is. THanks again.

4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another trick... put the whip from an ht on the input to your freq counter. Transmit and read.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, knowing your exact frequency is a recent phenomenon. Just make a mental note (or mark it on the dial) where the band edges are, and don't worry about it. I'm not sure how far that radio tunes, but also keep in mind that you're not allowed above 7125, either. But as long as you know where 7026 and 7124 are, that's sufficient.

6. W6OGC

I recall being concerned about band segments when incentive licensing kicked in in the late '60's, for those of us who were not immediately extra-cated. There were 25 kc. marker generators available along with the 100 kc. markers in general usage. Then they changed to Hertz! I still have a handy nomograph around here somewhere to aid in conversions.

Being able to know your exact frequency relatively easily is a recent phenomenon.

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

You still need those nomograms. Band edges are in kHz (e.g., "the bottom of the general band is 7025 kHz." But intervals within the band are still in kc's (e.g., "I need to QSY up a couple of kc's.")

KF5RZG likes this.
  8. W6OGC

Check out QST for April, 1968, page 49.

KF5RZG likes this.
  9. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a bit rigid since CW is permitted throughout all amateur bands except 60 meters, operator class considered. Perhaps a better way to phrase it is that CW is the exclusive mode under 7.125 according to the 40M band plan and operating above that in the phone portion will result in fewer likely contacts.

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the original poster said he was a General, and I believe 7125 is the bottom of the Extra band on 40.