ad: Amateur-1

New to PSK31

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by NM8W, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NM8W

NM8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just thought I'd share quick that I had my first successful QSO via PSK31 yesterday morning on 80M. What a great time that was!

I'm a rather new Ham (just got my General Ticket back in March), and I've been learning as much as I can over this year. About two months ago, a fellow club member had me over to his QTH to show me his shack, and he demonstrated PSK31 for me. I was hooked immediately.

It took me some time, but I finally earned enough money to buy my own HF rig (got a Yaesu 857D), and I also picked up a used SignaLink USB. I'm a Mac user, so I also downloaded CocoaModem for my software. I did a lot of reading of manuals, and made use of a couple of Yahoo Groups, and as I said, had a successful QSO yesterday with a Ham in Iowa! He said I had a good clean signal. I REALLY enjoyed it.

I had another QSO with a Ham in KS, and he told me not to touch my settings, that my signal was very clean, and he was copying me just fine. (I DID adjust a few things between the two QSOs, just to be safe.)

I DEFINITELY plan on continuing operating PSK31, in addition to phone of course. And, I'm still trying to gather up the courage to get on CW. I've learned my letter/number/basic punctuation characters. I just don't feel confident enough yet with copying fast enough...even at the slower speeds. But I suppose I should just get on and do it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my excitement to be learning/operating in a new mode (for me.) A public thanks to the Hams of the CocoaModem Yahoo Group. There were a couple that were a real help to me.

I appreciate you Elmer types, more than you know.

73 de KD8NJZ
    Craig

2. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Craig

You are going to have fun with the digital modes. I have been using them for 3 years and do most of my QSO's that way.

Like you I use the SignaLink USB. One on a FT-950 and one with an Icom 7000.

Ham Radio Deluxe for rig control and DM 780 for digital software.

Try Olivia. Check around 3.582.5 during the evening hours and you might come across me calling CQ with that mode. I normally run 8/500 speed.

73, Rick VE3FMC

3. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

80m? I just started a thread asking about PSK activity on 80m. Maybe I have just been trying to work it at the wrong time or something, but I have yet to make an 80m PSK contact.

With that said, congrats on gittin da bug! I got hooked on PSK before I upgraded. In fact, I probably would still be a tech if it weren't for having discovered the wonderful world of PSK-31!! I love it. Lots of fun. Ya never know who is going to answer your call or where they will be from and the QSOs are pleasant. A lot of the guys just want to exchange info and move on, but that's ok. Folks are that way on phone too.

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually hang out on 30m but I'll try the 80m freq in the next few evenings... I agree with Rick, you are going to have fun. About 95% of my HF activity is digital.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. NM8W

Heh, one mode at a time Rick, one mode at a time. I feel accomplished just finally getting outside of phone. ;) The next one for me will be CW. Then maybe I'll look into Olivia. But for now...phone, PSK31, and when I can screw up the courage, CW.

6. NM8W

I guess I've gotten lucky? Both mornings, there was only one other ham on...so it must be a freak thing. Though both said they're usually on in the early mornings on either 40 or 80. So yes...two contacts in two days on PSK31 80M. Guess I should be proud of that? It was 10:00 UTC for both contacts, just as a FYI. Both operators were in the Midwest (Kansas and Iowa.)

Thanks on the congrats. :) I'm trying to work on my WAS for phone also. I plan on being on late into the night tonight since the XYL will be gone. Hi hi. ;)

7. NM8W

I'll have to try 30M also. SO much to learn and try and experiment with!

And I don't think I'm "going" to have fun. I already am! ;)

8. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't CocoaModem include Olivia as one of the digital modes? Now that you have your rig and interface set up, working several digital modes is just as easy as working one. I wonder if they make HRD for Macs. Changing digital modes with that program is just a matter of a click or two and you are in business!

9. NM8W

Yes, you're correct (I believe.) Olivia is in Cocoamodem as well. But whether or not I have to change any levels or anything is beyond me. I haven't even glanced at the other modes. I suppose it IS pretty easy, but I'd want to read about/study about it before I operated in it. Just kind of how I am with most things.

And as far as I know, no, HRD is not available for Mac. (Though, I COULD have gotten HRD and put it on the Windows side of my iMac...but...why would I want to do that? hi hi. Windows is only there for extreme circumstances. There's only one thing I've really "needed" the Windows side for since having the iMac.)

BTW...love your callsign. One of our club members is W8PSK, and it was totally a fluke he got it. But he HAS since started operating some PSK31.

10. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Craig here are a few reasons I prefer Olivia over PSK31.

1. More robust mode, gets thru the noise better on 80 and 40 meters.

2. More of a rag chewers mode, at least that is what I find.

3. You rarely run into the "Macro Robots" that you run into on PSK 31.

4. Slower send speed which allows you to type ahead in your buffer. Heck I have typed ahead and hit send and ran up to the washroom, and grabbed a snack. Back in time to start receiving!

There is no difference when it comes to operating Olivia. Big wide signal to tune into, and that is the main difference. You will not have to change anything as far as transmit and receive goes.

I just prefer the mode. Yes there are not as many ops using Olivia but I find enough to satisfy my operating needs. :)

Go listen on 7.072.5 if you are around, and you will see me transmitting there in 16/500

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.