New to me radio and tuner

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K0YLW, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0YLW

K0YLW Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife gave me a new to me radio for my birthday. She gave me an
    Icom 706 iig and an AH 4 tuner. It has the separation kit with it, never
    opened.
    Now I need to install it in my service truck. I can not wait to have
    HF in the truck again. No more long boring rides soon.

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to my web site, and read the Auto-coupler article before you install then gear.

3. KC8RL

KC8RL Ham Member QRZ Page

You have picked a WONDERFUL auto tuner. I have had one is use for about 5 years, connected to my IC-7000. I have loaded to CB whips in a dipole configuration and have loaded 10m - 80m. I am presently using it to load a 23 foot vertical with it. It can tune from about 10 ohms to 5k ohm, which is much wider then most tuners. I believe that it couod load up a wet string, laying on the ground.

You need to mount the tuner in your the bed of your truck (Guessing that you are talking about a pickup) where you can connect to a good truck ground and where it can be directly connected to the base of you mobile vertical. Many use a 10M ham stick. You can experiment to see must how well it load your antenna in advance my just connecting a short piece of wire, tied up in a tree, to experiment on the length. Think that you will find that it will work the first time. The tuner will store each frequency in its memory so the second time that you go to the same frequent area, with the same antenna of course, it will click and be ready to go immediately. (First time my take 3 to 5 seconds to find the right setup. Love mine. 10 to 80 with the push of a button! (Tune button on your rig)

73 and CUL

Dan KC8RL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.