New to Me Hi-Q 5/80

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K0PIR, Jan 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm real excited to have this antenna. It's replacing a Tarheel 200A . The Tarheel was mounted on the rear and would not work well when pulling my travel trailer. Otherwise it worked great. Hopefully this works while pulling the trailer. For now, I'm making a lot of contacts when mobile and getting good reports.

It's an older Hi-Q 5/80 with a 1ft mast, top hat and a 5ft whip. I'm using an MFJ 907 and an old Tarheel controller. The controller has a digital readout, but no memories. The Ham I got this antenna from made a nice mount for it. Fits perfectly on the winch mount.

The radio is an Icom 7000 mounted on a gooseneck on the passenger seat bolt.

As a bonus, with the quick disconnect on top of the coil, I can now enter the car wash :)

Anyone else using a Hi-Q and is yours touchy? Mine is, but I'm getting used to it. Maybe it's just because it's a faster motor than on the Tarheel???

20180119_114843.jpg

W1TRY likes this.
  2. KC9BNW

KC9BNW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Other than touchy, how is the Hi-Q? By the way, nice looking setup.

3. K0PIR

I'm still tweaking it, more work to go.

I haven't had it very long, but I'm used to it now and not as touchy as I thought. Just different from my Tarheel. I am able to tune it fast now, much faster going from 20 to 75 Meters.

It is very well built and the 2' stainless steel mast is solid. I was off roading yesterday and it was solid. It didn't detune while going down washboard roads, so I'm pretty impressed. Actually I haven't had it detune at all when driving, no adjustments necessary. Once it's set, it's good.

I don't have it mounted in the best location and the coil is too low. I've decided to add a 2' mast extension to it and also add the 2' mast between the coil and top hat. I don't think I'll even need a whip. So performance wise I won't say yet. I have made plenty of contacts, especially on my favorite net on 75 Meters, without issue.

Like I said, I haven't had it long.

Thank you and 73,

KC9BNW likes this.
  4. KF5BCX

KF5BCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great setup and it looks very cool with the capacitance cap! You can see my Hi-Q 3/80 on my Jeep at my QRZ page. I have the long whip for stationary work and a short whip with spring for mobile use. No tuner, just adjust for highest receive noise and then jog slightly on low power for best SWR. I get great reports and surprise that it is a mobile. Bonding, especially on the Wrangler, is important and I went the heavy braid route throughout, which must help. I am running the Kenwood 480HX, so it can deliver up to 200W and in a mobile makes a big difference. Watch the motor and it's set screw in the Hi-Q, I found mine had stripped out over time, causing the unit to stop moving properly. A simple different screw, properly tightened, made it fully functional and rugged again. I have always liked how the antenna is tuned within the coil, rather than moving up and down on the coil. Good luck! 73

5. K0PIR

Nice looking Jeep. I think I will be moving mine to the top of the vehicle and using a GQD on it. With just the 1' extension and top hat I think I can make it work even better up there.

Thanks and I hope to hear you on the air. I've worked a few mobile to mobile recently. 73!

6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

The HQ is a great antenna. I have used front mounted screwdriver in tennis antennas on various vehicles and they work very well, currently using scorpions which are similar to your HQ, have fun