new to HF digital (PSK31, Hell) and SSTV — liking it so far

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KF5KWO, Feb 9, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For some reason, I got a bug up my you-know-what to try new HF modes. It started with SSTV about a week ago. I downloaded the “CQ SSTV” app for iPad, made a few CQ images and some “you de me, signal report, tks” images and went to town. No replies yet, maybe I’m doing something wrong, I don’t know.

So then I downloaded the “PSKer” app and made my first foray into digital by doing PSK31. I’ve heard about it my whole ham life, so I figured let’s give it a try. Three QSOs so far and I do like it. Would like to see what it’s like in a contest. The app has some bad reviews on the app store, but I find that it works fine, albeit for my newbie needs.

And THEN...I looked for other apps in the Apple app store and found one for Feld Hell. So I downloaded that, will try to find some Hell this weekend.

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO
    Helotes, TX

2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to enjoy SSTV, but there a a certain few out there that ruin it. There's someone running 1KW or more just sending out a CQ call every few minutes- but almost never responds to anyone. I think they just like seeing their images on worldsstv.com
    Others spam political crap all day. Overall 14.230 is very "loud" and your small setup can be overpowered easily.
    I'll watch for your call and will certainly respond if I see it!

I have tried psk31 but realized that I don't really enjoy having to think in real time to type responses. And have zero interest in the copy-paste messages about your type of computer and that you are on Win7 with 2GB of ram....
    I play on digital modes after a long day and just want to relax without having to think. I really wish someone would come up with a FT/JT mode app! That would be perfect for portable ops!

KF5KWO likes this.
  3. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know what you mean about SSTV. I sent a bunch of CQ images, responded to a bunch of CQ images, but no one ever came back.