New to ham radio, looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4SMQ, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with K0RGR but would add that you could look for a used FT857, as it is great for portable (as long as your carry is yards and not miles!) and is basically a high power version of the FT817, giving 100 watts on HF, 50 watts on 2m and 20 watts on 70cm. I am using mine as my home rig at present since my main rig developed a fault, and it is not too bad as a main rig. All in all it is a pretty good do-everything radio

G8XQB likes this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Im not a fan of the term "ham" either OR for that matter the term "Elmer", not sure why they just do not sound appealing to me . I too prefer Amateur and Mentor as descriptive titles, 73 Rich

W2AI likes this.
  3. W9RAC

Welcome aboard Travis, I can't reply with anything meaningful since I have only run HF equipment. I do pop my Yaesu 450D in the car if taking a trip but its really a tad big to be a regular mobile rig. I did want to congratulate you however on getting your ticket. 73, Rich

4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

oh yeah... elmer...ugh. There was a deep discussion awhile back ago on here where I railed against the term 'elmer' and how it might not appeal to the younger crowd we say we're trying to attract. It was not a popular position :)

W9RAC likes this.
  5. W9RAC

I do not think the term is appealing, almost the contrary to me, but if some want to be called a "Elmer", thats ok........ but I prefer to be known as a "mentor", 73 Rich

6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yes, elmer is way too oldy-tyme and borderline creepy.

7. KA6RES

KA6RES Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to Amateur Radio.
    Take plenty of time while adjusting your radio needs to your liking.
    There are plenty of used transceivers out there that could fit your needs. Decide what modes you are most interested in and possible frequencies you are able to use. Then try to figure out an antenna system and feedline that is obtainable physically and within your budget.
    Keep in mind that your feedline and antenna is a very important part of any type of station, mobile or base. Some antennas are so very simple to build and can cost very little. Also, get to know some local hams in your area. Oftentimes, people have equipment laying around that they no longer need.
    I would suggest that you not go out and spend high dollar amounts on anything unless have to have it. Build your own antennas and maybe follow some Swap Nets.
    Radio wise you could look for an older VHF/UHF mobile right with a remote head/controller. Just make sure it has a tone board or is capable of storing frequency and tones in memory.
    Also research used equipment before you buy.

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's because you didn't add noodles and rice with it in the soup bowl, Steve.

9. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think 'coach' is a better term. I, too, never took to the term "ham" and "elmer".
    "Elmer" reminds me of the cartoon character on Bugs Bunny.:eek:

AC0GT and W9RAC like this.
  10. W9RAC

I'm with you on this one. The term "Elmer", at the risk of sounding harsh, sounds like someone being referred to with a lesser IQ, to me. Not the best description of choice in my opinion. Can you imagine calling your teacher at school a "Elemer", right before the yard stick on the behind in my day! 73 Rich