New to ham radio, looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4SMQ, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For the small amount of dollars they are great values. The one I have in my truck right now (I don't drive nearly as much as I used to when I was a commuter) is a tribander and does a respectable job. Heck, this past year when my shack was being remodeled I even ran one of our nets sitting in the truck with the a/c blasting and my little QYT 7900. The receiver is quite sensitive and I get good audio reports. 2-meters, 220, 440 for less than 100 bucks.

HOWEVER...the front end is as broad as a barn. Every burglar alarm you pass will make its presence known. It's also the luck of the draw. Mine has worked well for a year (knock on wood), but a buddy of mine's quit after a month... I'd guess typical Chinese "QA." ;)

KN4SMQ likes this.
  2. W4NNF

Some are legal to sell. Some are not. ;)

3. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

My TYT has a tight front end and survived a 65mph rollover accident in a 5000lb suv. It's all good in my book.

4. W4NNF

TYT is one of the better (if not best) Chinese brands. I was referring to rigs like the QYT (which may be TYT's bargain brand). It's not that bad, as above, but certainly the big three would never have let it out the door. It works acceptably for me...though I probably ought to look at it <choke> with a spectrum analyzer... ;)

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Simple caution with one particular TYT:

I had the TYT TH-9800 for about a week before the finals burned up with a 1.2:1 SWR. I would stay clear of the TH-9800.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"New to ham radio, looking for some advice."
    Would say you're off to a great start by recognizing it's "ham radio" and not "ham".

WU8Y likes this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

or HAM

W4NNF, WU8Y and K3XR like this.
  8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I am partial to 'Amateur.'

It literally means 'for the love of.'

9. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

agreed. I never call myself a ham. I always use amateur radio operator. I once told a nosy neighbor that my antennas for "studying the effect of atmospheric & solar weather on radio wave propagation'

W9RAC, NM9L and WZ7U like this.
  10. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're thinking about the General license, you should get a rig that you can use now, and also use when you upgrade.

You specifically said you want something you can use mobile, portable, and at home. I suggest you don't overlook the FT817ND or FT818ND. These are QRP portables that have internal batteries that will run the rig for a few hours. They are low power - 5 watts for the 817 and 6 watts for the 818.

I've had two 817's, and I refer to it as my Swiss Army Knife. It will do everything much better than you might expect. I've used it in contests, I've used it as a mobile rig, I've used it to do digital modes while sitting on a warm beach, and it will outperform any HT you can imagine. Mine has traveled all over the country, and even overseas with me. As long as I can hang a wire out a window, I can get on the air with it.

Low power can be discouraging for a newcomer, but if you pick your battles wisely, 5 or 6 watts will make lots of contacts.

Eskip season will be cranking up in May, and from then until the end of July or so, you would be able to make tons of contacts on 10 and 6 meters, SSB or digital. Low power is fine for working Eskip. The openings are intermittent, but they will be there.

G8XQB likes this.