ad: hrd-2

New to ham radio, looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4SMQ, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

seems a lot of new hams like UHV/VHF/Digital Voice coupled with some sort of gateway device that allows them access to digital voice channels (DSTAR, Fusion, etc) via internet.
    Look at the Ic-4100 mobile rig + ZUMSpot for a relatively inexpensive entry into FM Analog and Digital

KN4SMQ likes this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

It is only 2m FM; but for cost, radio quality, transmit power, and durability I do not think that you can beat the Yaesu FT-2980R at $119.95.

Of course it depends on where you live; but for a lot of places in the United States, you will not really miss much without 70cm.

3. KE8JNU

KE8JNU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recommend the ID-51+. Its a great radio for 2m/70cm and DSTAR if you're into that.

W4NNF likes this.
  4. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

....and you thought the websites that sell radios was confusing! :D

Buying without some frame of reference can end up being costly and a lot of buyers remorse. If you don't have a radio now, I would go with a little cheap Chinese HT that you can use while you feel your way other radio choices and zone in on the radio that fits you best.

My personal solution is the following:
    • Kenwood TM-V71A dual band 2m/70c radio with cross-band repeat and Echolink support. On sale you can get it under $350US.
    • Boafang HT. ($32US)
    Then I can put the Kenwood in cross-band repeat mode and walk around the house with my Boafang on low power, yet the Kenwood will act as a repeater pushing out up to 50 watts of power from my roof mounted vertical. (Diamond X300 2m/70cm antenna)

With Anderson power poles and the proper mounting in the car. You can have your Kenwood as a grab and go radio for home base station and mobile use.

KN4SMQ likes this.
  5. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't let anyone tell you the chinese mobile rigs are bad. They are great for the money.

W4NNF likes this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, the Chinese radios are great for the money. If only they were legal in the USA. That's what the FCC says anyway.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried a Chinese radio, and was always hungry an hour later.:(

N4FZ, KK5JY, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SMILEY FACE THUMBS UP.jpg
    73 CARMEN.jpg

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Just check for certification. Not every Chinese radio has a valid FFC ID, but many do.

Part 90 certification? No problem. If Amateurs could not use Part 90 certified radios, all of those Motorolla repeaters would be illegal as well. :)

10. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can find a cheap used yaesu fusion, icom dstar, or dmr radio, you can couple that with a zumspot and talk around the world through internet linking VoIP. You can even use these zumspots or similar devices while traveling if you can use the cellular hot spot WiFi on your smart phone to provide internet connectivity to the zumspot. Done it many times on long road trips when you can't find someone to talk to on a repeater.
    Just something to consider in your early stages of ham radio. And by the way welcome to the hobby. Give it some time and you'll find some interesting things to do. And I'd highly recommend getting the general, since that will offer you a lot more playground to mess around in
    Mike

N4FZ and KN4SMQ like this.