ad: w5yi

New to HAM Looking for good 2 Meter & 70 cm Antenna

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE0PLZ, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:27 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0PLZ

KE0PLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I am new to HAM and I am looking for a good antenna. I live in an apartment building on the third floor, which is the top floor. Unfortunately I do not have access to hang anything outside and have no balcony access. I am looking for an antenna that I can put in my window on the inside of my apartment. I will be using the antenna for the 2 meter and 70 cm band for mostly listening and maybe some talking from time to time on my local repeaters. I am new to HAM so I think that building an antenna myself would be a good learning experience for me, but I am also open to purchasing one too. If I missed any needed information to help answer my question please ask. Thank you in advanced for your responses!

2. N3JJB

N3JJB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KE0PLZ

KE0PLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was looking into them, but all the designs I saw for them looked to large for my window, so I didn't know if that would work of if there was a better option.

4. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I second the DIY J-pole, more specifically a "slim-jim" type J-pole. You can build one for literally free if you have the items. If you don't, there may be some local hams in your area who wouldn't mind to donate a few feet of 450 ohm ladder line and coax to you, and HELP you build it.

Learning, making new friends, and making something useful is most all of the fun.

I've built a couple of them myself and if you can read a measuring tape, can solder (even fairly), you can build one! It also doesn't "have" to hang in a window. You can stick a pushpin into the wall and hang it from it, or use a string and tie it to a curtain rod.

5. K5UNX

K5UNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the slim jim type antenna. I have a couple and used one a lot for 2m/70cm hanging indoors on a nail in the wall. I now keep one for a portable antenna with some para-cord. I need to find a plan to build one on the Net sometime.

6. KV4JW

I forget which one I used, mine ended up being a little different though, but it ended up working well.

The perk to having a local ham assist with construction would be the possible availability of an analyzer (not required, but useful) to really zero in resonance - though that won't do much for "learning" how to make an antenna. A tape measure and calculator are the only analyzers many hams used for decades. I still don't use an analyzer.

7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

btw....it's "ham", not "HAM". Not an acronym nor a proper name.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

NH7RO and WR2E like this.
  8. KV4JW

BTW.. "es" and "de" are for CW, and not typing text on a forum.

I mean, if we are being nitpickers.. ;)

9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Says who?

Not me. "HAM" is never correct.

K7JEM and NH7RO like this.
  10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Get a magnetic mount 2 /440 antenna and mount it on some steel sheet / large cookie sheet etc. Now you have an antenna you can bring down to the car and use when mobile so that HT will get out much better when you are mobile. I have also used the homemade 300 ohm twinlead jpole and a 450 ohm window line version. with success. One ham I talked to cut a dipole from
    aluminum foil and taped it to his window !