ad: cq2k-1

New to DMR Radio and Hot Spots

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N9AOU, Jan 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9AOU

N9AOU Ham Member QRZ Page

Starting this post to see where it goes regarding DMR Radio and Hotspots. Just getting into it myself, lot to learn.

73's
    Mike
    N9AOU

Attached Files:

2. KK7BQ

KK7BQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here, new to DMR. Researching which hotspot to get.

3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N9AOU

I got the MegaDV HotSpot, little pricey but happy with it.

5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother gifted me with a ZUMspot a few months ago. It was an easy setup for me despite my complete ignorance of all things pertaining to digital voice mode. I use it with a Yaesu FT2D on both the YSF and DMR modes (the latter using YSF2DMR) and it works like a champ.

6. KG7CSS

KG7CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

I got an AT-D868uV for Christmas. so far I like what I hearing My disappointment is repeaters are not like what I thought it would be but I am going the hotspot route some day, especially i wonder is practical to set up a hot spot at a hotel at fan conventions I go to (Science Fiction, Furry).

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The hotspots I like. The little Zumspot is one of the best ham radio buys I've made. Two years down the road it just sits quietly in a corner and does its thing. No fuss, no muss. :)

DMR? I almost bought a DMR HT at the Huntsville Hamfest. The price sure was right. But then I asked myself what it would do for me that D-Star doesn't and couldn't come up with an answer. Still, might get one...but with the coming of reflectors that allow use by both DMR and D-Star it doesn't seem like much of a priority.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Shouldn't be a problem. Just connect it to the local wi-fi (or use your phone as an Internet hotspot for the hotspot).

9. N9AOU

The Open Spot 3 looks nice, can carry it in your pocket if you wanted to. I am currently using a Raspberry Pi 3 with a MMDVM HotSpot Hat.