ad: ProAudio-1

New Test Gear Nano VNA

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by VK4HAT, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

THat's a shame, Glenn. Mine is the worse of the clones, but works fine. I will add the shields for the IO connectors next week to give a tad better isolation.
    Ask for a Refund, then look on the forum to get the better of the units.

Ed

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

To get the driver installed in windows 10 is a pain, but windows 10 should have somewhat buggy driver for the serial IC they used, if you dont want to go though the pain of installing unsigned drivers in windows. The drivers can also be a little flakey. Open up device manager and look and see what serial ports you have open, make sure you are connecting to the correct serial port or that the serial port is showing when the cable is inserted. When in doubt try a different USB cable some of the cheaper micro usb cables are power only no data. If you are using USB type C the way you insert the cable does not matter because its not polarised, it will determine and detect what is connected. I dont know if they do a power only version of that cable, but I would try another one.

KW4TI and KA0HCP like this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HAT:

Very interesting with the device manager! When I plug in or remove the USB cable, the display "blinks" like something is changing. However, nothing appears, anywhere, in the entire device manager indicating that there is any connection. I have looked at every menu and have used every com port. When I plug in a "memory stick", it is immediately is recognized as is any other USB device that I have.

The only thing that I can think of is that there is something, in the VNA, that is preventing the computer from recognizing that there is anything connected.

Glen, K9STH

4. K9STH

The seller has requested that I return the unit and he will repay the postage cost along with my original payment and shipping charges. As such, I need to get it in a padded envelope and in the mail.

When I get the refund, I will order another and see what happens!

Glen, K9STH

5. VK4HAT

Glen I think your problem is a cable issue. I would try it again with another cable to be sure to be sure. I just looked and I am using the windows default driver from 2006, so it should not require any driver input, windows should detect it and be happy. Sometimes the cheap cabled they send with things like this are only power cables. I am assuming when you connect it to the USB cable the LCD lights up and the unit is essentially running. Or does it remain blank? If its blank give the cable a wiggle or try a 5v wall wart to power it from.

6. K9STH

HAT:

I did, finally, get my Windows 10 Professional computer to "recognize" the unit. However, still very squirrely. As such, the cable is working. The other 2-computers, with Windows 10 Home absolutely refuse to recognize the unit.

I don't want to spend any more time on the unit. This is especially true because both manual downloads, provided by the seller, had too many files corrupted. I did download from each site several times to make sure that the source is the problem. Therefore, I have just too many other things to do than try to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear!

Glen, K9STH

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

8. VK4HAT

So it works and its just computer/user error that is the problem.

9. K9STH

No!

The computer shows a driver being recognized. However, no where on the computer can the unit be located. Nothing appears in any menu, in any file, etc. As far as any of my Windows 10 computers the VNA doesn't exist! Every other piece of equipment that I have that is supposed to be recognized by the computer is recognized.

The seller has authorized a return and is going to reimburse me for the postage. Therefore, back to the seller.

Glen, K9STH

10. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's probably for the best, Glen. If he's willing to do that, it's a good sign.