New Test Gear Nano VNA

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by VK4HAT, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's great. Allan on that forum is working on a case for it that will also protect the knob.
    The software for Windows works very well & is simple.

Ed

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have run into a problem and that is the unit I received needs the update for 4-traces instead of 2-traces. Unfortunately, the portion of the manual suite that I was provided has several files corrupt and those files give the instructions on doing the update, etc.

I haven't been a member of any of the Google Groups so I need to get signed up so that I can participate in the discussions.

Glen, K9STH

3. WA4SIX

You should find the flashing procedure talked about within the past couple days on the forum. Also, some good info coming from the originator of the unit. Many different copies of it. Reading the group will have you up to speed real quick. I have never used a VNA & found this little bugger pretty intuitive.
    Check what you have for OSL plugs. Some don't come with the shorting plug.

Ed

4. K9STH

QQ:

Fortunately, I have both the dummy load and the shorting plug.

Glen, K9STH

5. WA4SIX

Excellent. Hook it to a PC & use the software for an easier way to operate it. That's what I did. THen, when I had a grasp, I read the instructions (Woefully inadequite) & went through the OSL calibration. Then, I hooked it to a LPF bank from a TS-440. It showed the LPF response that we desire.
    I could also see that tweaking the coils a tad would change the response a little.

Ed

6. K9STH

Unfortunately, that is one of the problems! The unit will not connect to the computer and the instructions, etc., about that are in the corrupted files!

Glen, K9STH

7. WA4SIX

I see. Had no issues with mine. Be sure the right driver got installed? Also, it is a USB3 cord. Not
    sure if that should pose a problem. You are using WIN10, right? Otherwise, there are workarounds for Win7.
    Ed

8. K9STH

Am using Windows 10 and the driver will not install. I am using the USB cable that came with the unit.

One thing is that the USB cable can be plugged into the unit either way. That is, it is not polarized and I have tried with the cable plugged in both ways. It will charge the battery in either position.

Methinks I have a defective unit. I am going to contact the seller and see what they are going to do. Replace? Or what!

Glen, K9STH

9. WA4SIX

USB3C is able to be used in either position.

Good luck. I hope you get it working, or get a working unit. Really a great little toy. I plan on getting another & putting it in a large case & larger screen. Probably a 7" screen & I will add adjustable backlight to it, as the one on the unit is almost imperceptable in sunlight.

Ed

10. K9STH

QQ:

I have requested, from the vendor, a replacement or refund. This unit just has too many problems!

My luck, with Chinese products, has gone sour in the last month. Previously, I have gotten quite a few items and, with one exception which the vendor made good, I haven't had any problems. However, I ordered, and received, one of the DDS VFO units that has so many problems. The only r.f. in the entire unit is the 25.000 MHz crystal oscillator! I have an identical unit, that I got a while back, that works very well.

I got to thinking that, with my various Collins S-Line receivers, it would be very easy just to remove the heterodyne oscillator crystals, in one of the receivers, and then plug in the output of one of the DDS VFOs into the heterodyne oscillator output jack. Then, dial up the frequency of whatever crystal needed for anywhere between 3.4 MHz and 30.0 MHz. The crystal frequencies are listed in any of the S-Line manuals.

One of my 75S-1 receivers is not connected to any transmitter, I use it for receiving the DX station when working split. That receiver is a definite candidate for making into a general coverage receiver. Of course, there are the Collins CP-1 crystal packs that have all of the crystals necessary to cover the entire 3.4 MHz to 30.0 MHz range. But, those require the physical plugging and unplugging of the crystal to get the particular 200 kHz segment. Using one of the DDS VFOs would allow coverage of the entire range without having to go to the trouble of changing the crystals.

Glen, K9STH