New Tech wanting to get into club. Also for Weather Spotting - AL

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KN4YFC, Sep 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KN4YFC

KN4YFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I am new to Ham radio and as of last week I passed the Tech, come next month I will be taking the exam for the General license. I don't know of many people in my area (Central Alabama) but in the future I hope this changes.

I have taking the exams for the FEMA for helping my community and I am on SKYWARN as a spotter. So I am getting in line with everything on those prerequisites. I have not taken the ARRL for ACES or RACES exam but have my FEMA endorsements as of this date.

I am still learning everything at this point and will be mobile for the beginning in hope to buy a base by early next year, maybe sooner. If you are close to me or even in Alabama I would love to hear feedback on direction of sort. 73 KN4YFC

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest contacting a local club, if any. Or, your local Emergency Management office, if any. Either ought to be able to give you pointers and any local qualifications you may need. Typically clubs and EMs are happy to have more help with weather watching stuff. I think it might be a good idea to tell them that you might have the qualifications, but not much practical experience. They'll still probably throw you into the 'deep end', but that's normal also. Have fun.

3. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're still monitoring this thread...

I tried searching the ARRL.org site for clubs, and not familiar with the Alabama geography, "Clanton" was unsuccessful. There are likely to be clubs in Montgomery or Birmingham; but ouch, what a drive.

There may be active repeaters in Clanton, and repeaterbook.com had quite a few possible matches. https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/location_search.php?state_id=01&type=city&loc=Clanton

Try listening to them, and ask around for a local club.

There's also Alabama ARES, you may already know your district. http://www.alabama-ares.org/districtD.html