New Tech license level questions

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KC1KVU, Mar 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC1KVU

KC1KVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    I have my new to me Ts830s setup on a Antron 99.
    I listen to 80m as it seems like the most active in my area. I cannot trans yet as still studying for the general.
    Here are the questions:
    I do hear many states, and clearly call letters. Is sending an email or other contact thru QRZ done as a "hey I can here you in Rhode Island" ? Or is that not really done.
    Second, I would like to log some of these contacts (if thats the right term) I see th QRZ log is for CQ stuff. Is there an informal log somewhere? maybe just a paper speadsheet kinda thing?
    I do check the area of 10m that I can operate on but not much going on there.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bud
    KC1KVU

N8AFT and KB2SUJ like this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, it's done occasionally, it's called "SWL report". SWL means short wave listening. Many operators are happy to get listening reports, especially if you can provide accurate signal strength and quality.

I'm pretty sure the QRZ log book allows SWLs.

Enjoy

WU8Y and KB2SUJ like this.
  3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I like that.

I know I would like to make a brief audio recording and send it as an email attachment.

I have often wondered does this mic sound better, is this audio setting better, is that transceiver better.

KC1KVU likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome! Yes, indeed your reports would be called Short Wave Listener (SWL) reports. They go back to the very beginning of radio when any station was happy to know that he was "Getting out".

You can make your report in any format you wish, from a snail mail letter or postcard, email, e-logging system. Dedicated SWL'ers even make up their own QSL cards with fancy graphics. The standard amateur QSL card format is ideal, with the one difference of NOT being "2-way contact".

Courteous hams will send back a QSL card or acknowledgement. In the not too distant past Shortwave Broadcast stations and even domestic US AM stations would send reply QSL cards, out of appreciation (and advertising value!). It may still be worthwhile and thrilling to try them as well.

SWL"ing is a fascinating and addicting part of amateur radio! bill.

KC1KVU likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KC1KVU and W7CJD like this.
  6. KC1KVU

KC1KVU Ham Member QRZ Page

William,
    Cards ordered!
    Great idea. Thanks
    Bud

KC5AKB likes this.
  7. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I have several designs I use Bud, this is the one I use as sort of a combo card when a contact was not necessary made but heard and reported to the OP, mostly CW but on a rare occasion I do send out a card SSB work. 73 Rich
    swlcard.jpg

KC1KVU likes this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

EVERYBODY should know this by now...A Tech licensee can operate CW on portions of several HF bands. ( take a closer look at the rules and regs !) Study Morse for a few weeks and get on the air ! Make some contacts !
    By the way, make an 80 M dipole . Just two 63 ft pieces of wire joined in center, one to a coax cable center wire and the other to the shield. Insulators on ends and rope up into trees or some other high support.
    80 M is great in late afternoon and all night for regional and some times out coast to coast, late at night.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    N8AFT and N2EY like this.
  9. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

WELCOME ABOARD OM BUD!
    Hang on to that TS830! You'll be hard pressed to outgrow it esp if you go on to do Morse with it.
    The receiver is top notch, pleasing non DSP audio, and there's plenty of RF power with the rugged tube final.
    Get yer code on and join K8JD and the rest of us brass pounders for some REAL fun!

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

N2EY and K4AGO like this.