New Swapmeet Moderators

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday morning, I was the only one moderating the swapmeet. Today, there are four of us. How does that happen?

Well, for the past couple of months, our head moderator in this category, Dave KN7S has been offline with network problems at a new QTH. Then, another moderator resigned. So that's how I ended up as the only guy watching over the thing.

Then, I posted an ad for a volunteer and published the Moderator Guidelines document. At first there was no response and so I went to one of my oldest ham friends Steve, W7SGC who graciously offered to help out. Yay, now I have help! Then, later in the afternoon, we finally got a great candidate from the want ad and so now, welcome Dan WB7OXP as our newest new moderator.

Then, as luck would have it, Dave KN7S suddenly re-appeared with his network problems fixed. That's how we went from one moderator to four in a single day!

This is about as perfect as it can be. Not only do we have two very experienced hams as our new moderators, but we also have Dave KN7S who has been with us for several years and is an excellent mentor.

So, I'm very pleased to have the swapmeet team back up to full strength and look forward to watching it hum like the proverbial sewing machine.

Incidentally, four moderators might sound like a lot for this one forum category but I can assure you that it's an almost 24/7 task to keep up with the listings. More than 1 in 10 listings have some sort of problem or rules violation and when you consider that the moderators have to read every posting, it becomes an endless loop. In the past day alone there have been over 40 new listings. In addition, our moderators have to re-read many of the listings to keep the topics and replies on track, and to remove wisecracks and price police.

That "no discussion" rule in the swapmeet is a thing, and it gets broken on a daily basis. I started issuing formal warnings to peanut gallery participants yesterday, and it seems to have helped. It's a shame that we have to resort to such measures when all it takes to prevent it is for people to read the rules.

Finally, the mods need to look at the listings yet again to watch out for SOLD notices so they can mark the listings accordingly. Believe me, it's a lot of work for one person and I couldn't be happier to have such excellent help with it.

Moderating the swapmeet is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Once you get to the end, its already time to start over.

Sorry if this posting was too long and it bored you. If I'd had more time, it would have been shorter. :)

73, -fred

WB7OXP, KA9JLM, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

"The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get" - a truer bell has ne'er been rung.

Thanks Fred, and all the (now) regular Moderators, for keeping the Swap Meet forum a civil and productive place!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

3. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred, the "Ham Gear for Sale" forum needed some serious moderation. It was getting frustrating trying to sell something. Thanks to you and your fellow moderators for returning that forum to a great avenue to dispose of unwanted gear!

73, John N3AB