ad: Flexradio-1

New Sunspot Several Times Wider Than Earth Rotating Into View

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Nov 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G0NCE

G0NCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when we worked several stateside guys on 49mhz with AM baby alarms, and a quad loop antenna! guess 150mw, cant remember, but i was in South Africa at the time circa 1974! Incredible

PY2NEA, W1LWT, WJ2L and 2 others like this.
  2. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, there's a good memory to keep hold of!

WJ2L likes this.
  3. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

like always another false hope of better conditions or cycle 25 is here........ the sun is slowly going away with hopes...in our life time.

PY2NEA likes this.
  4. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

We need to send it all to the sun ASAP....so package up the nuke waste and send it off to the sun...hhm send my x-wife that will help the sun she is a hot head she explodes at a snap .....

PY2NEA likes this.
  5. KE9HS

KE9HS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you had a ham radio station back in 1980, bring out your old log books and look at it during the sunspot peak. I did. Using a 100 watts, I had pages of contacts to Europe and Asia on 10 meters. I rarely went below 15 meters back then because the noise level was so quiet. Also a couple of Antarctica stations too. The propagation was so good that you could hear the same signal bouncing off of different parts of the planet. You did not need a amplifier during that year.

6. W3ENR

W3ENR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a new tech spending time with FT8 on 10m. You should cut us a little slack, Elmer! I've worked some 900, 1200 km contacts on phone, but I'm waiting to do more talking until the 10 watts carrying my voice more consistently go further than line of sight.

And please remember most of us newly licensed folks don't have towers and kilowatt amplifiers, so being new with a limited kit and poor to mediocre propagation conditions ... well, FT8 is kind of attractive because you can be heard quite far away. And I have to say I think I'm learning a bit about how propagation works by watching the variations on who can spot me on PSK reporter. Give us time. I doubt many techs want to do nothing more than click the FT8 mouse forever.

K1XS and KN4SKF like this.
  7. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I want the propagation we had when I was first on HF in 1957. Could happen, as might another Carrington event.

8. W4GOV

W4GOV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Even Cycle 22 was really good. 10M was open all the time. I remember talking to truck drivers in the us suing 1w CW all the time. It was a blast. I’m really looking forward to something good. I’d take anything close to Cycle 19-22!

9A5O likes this.