ad: AbAuRe-1

New Study Guide for Technician / General / Extra Tests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5HZR, Oct 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi. I've been publishing similar study guides for many years now (KB6NU.Com/study-guides), and I've heard just about all the criticisms out there. Not only that, I teach a one-day Tech course aimed strictly at helping people pass the test, not learn the material. Most of these criticisms are unfounded.

First of all, if newcomers were expected to "really learn" all of the material covered by the questions in the question pool, they'd have to spend a lot of time taking many college courses. There's just no way to expect them to do that.

Second, many of the questions on the Tech test--I'd guess that maybe up to half of them can only be answered correctly by memorizing the answer. The question that I always point to is the one that asks what the maximum power an amateur can use when controlling a radio-controlled model. There's no way to calculate the answer to that question. (The correct answer is 1 W, by the way.)

Third, many people learn by doing, not sitting in a classroom, listening to a lecturer drone on. How are they going to learn if they don't have a license? So, my focus is on getting them licensed and then helping them learn by doing the things in amateur radio that they are really interested in doing.

And, I make myself available to them, if they have any questions or need any help at all. That goes for any of the hams that have taken my classes or have purchased my study guides.

I'm proud of all the people that I have helped get into the hobby and are now enjoying amateur radio. Sure, some of them only got the license to please a spouse or because their father had a license many years ago. Others came to the conclusion after trying it that ham radio just wasn't for them. A good percentage, though, are now active hams and are doing interesting things.

By the way, my "No Nonsense" amateur radio license study guides are available in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats, as well as in print. They're all available on Amazon (just search for KB6NU) or on my website.

W9AFB, KE0CAA and K9AYL like this.
  2. N5HZR

N5HZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glenn, no, I'm still OK on the exams. I started out life in the CB craze of the early '70s... KBJY8406 here... Cost me $4, and filled out a little form, and I was in. That produced a HUGE wave of new CB'ers, but since the people didn't have to invest anything into their process, these newly found people dropped out just as fast. (Bad...) The ham exams require that some effort is put into learning about radio. Like most entrance exams, these are measures of baseline knowledge. We work hard to get interested parties through their tests, and then encourage these new hams to find their own place in the hobby. Until you make your first solo contacts, you don't know how cool that is. Until you work your first contact with the ISS, or like me, MIR, you know if you like that mode. Our latest Tech/General class of 35 has just wore us out with their actions and efforts in the hobby. Thank goodness we've got a LOT of Elmers that have spread the load. The first thing they wanted was to learn Morse Code, so we built the w5nor.org/morse and at the November meeting we'll talk about getting active in CW. They wanted to get their Extra ticket, so this manual was built. They wanted antennas, so we've built 50+ antennas for everything from 80 M to 73 cm. They wanted to homebrew their own equipment, so this Saturday we'll show them how to design, layout, and produce their own printed circuit boards for a total investment of about $50... and the list goes on, and on, and on. All they need to know is to visit the club website, and show up at the meetings with a stack of questions.

KC5YSQ, N0IRS and KE0CAA like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked at the website and thought this is a real club that understands the need and has a vision, more need to follow your example.
    Ignore the naysayers, they are stuck within their own sense of importance and have forgotten how to elmer or assist.

KC5YSQ, K9AYL, W9AFB and 1 other person like this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Only concerning the digital modes

KC5YSQ likes this.
  5. N5HZR

Thanks, we've got a couple hundred guys and gals that all seem to pull on the same rope to get things done. Always humbling to look back and see all the stuff that gets done, always amazing to look forward and see all of the things in the works!

KC5YSQ, K9AYL and W4IOA like this.
  6. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yes, lots of clubs are working hard at getting new hams. but that is only ¼ of the problem. ¾ of the problem comes AFTER new hams get licensed. 99% of new hams are ignored, and have no one to turn to to get advice and have questions answered. They feel uncomfortable and unwelcome at clubs. There are no post license classes, or programs in most of the US. There are very few up to date books that cover "You just got your ham license, Now What?". If we all don't do something, our hobby will take its place in the history books within 10-15 years.

W6GRD likes this.
  7. KO2LA

KO2LA Ham Member QRZ Page

There must be SOME threshold, otherwise we will have Citzens Band. And as has been said, passing the test is not the finish it's the beginning.

N5HZR likes this.
  8. N5HZR

Aw no you didn't... Sounds like that's our next project!!!

9. KA4PNE

KA4PNE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've enjoyed reading the comments and can both agree to disagree. Nevertheless, I like the idea of the non-cluttered study guide, well, anything that would at least get one motivated and "started" - in any class of license - seems to be the right thing to do. Most likely, the starting point for the newcomer is going to be the Technician Class. But, once they get a 'taste' of Amateur Radio, they'll dig into the study books and 'learn'. There are many study guides on the market - that are simply question and answer memorization books. And, most don't 'teach', they just offer a question and answer. But to simplify the "motivation" process is something that I can agree to. And, even to the already licensed Amateur Radio operator, if a condensed question and answer manual motivates one to upgrade, so be it. And when I say 'Study Guide', even a question and answer manual is bound to influence one to dig deeper into the technical world. You can't help but not to. And, sure, the Edison and Einstein appliques will come later. Even though I'm one that doesn't like the memorize and get a license idea, the CRAAM Manual seems to be a practical fair starting point. I've studied and worked hard and earned all of my knowledge. I've been an Amateur Radio operator for 34 years this November and am only a General Class licensee. Even as a Certified Electronics Technician, I remained a Novice class licensee for 20 years. Yet, I earned - and I mean 'hands on' - the First Class Radiotelephone License with Ship Radar Endorsement (now the GROL License) but have not bothered to upgrade to Amateur Extra license ... yet. I personally believe that what is keeping the newcomer - who might be interested in Amateur Radio - is the fear of all the 'Technical' material. I also believe it was the intention of the FCC to do things in increments anyway; Novice, Technician, General, Advanced, Extra. You ever wonder if the word 'Technician' is scaring away the potential Amateur Radio operator because they are required to be somewhat of a 'Technician'; physicist, an Albert Einstein? If a simplified question and answer study guide brings in a newcomer, well, so be it. Once they step into the Amateur Radio world, they'll want to 'learn' ... more. Since I recently retired, I believe I should now go and take the Extra test. Even though I'm a CETma, it's nice to have a simple study guide ... just to have a general idea of what to expect on the test. And, for the newcomer, your CRAAM study guide is just the right "motivator" to get one started. I like what you've done. Keep the 'distracting' or confusion at a minimum. By the way, I'm confused, did I erroneously read in one of the posts that: " ... Amateur radio is a hobby that is slowly dying off ... " ??? That's news to me. Take a look at the ARRL article dated 03/04/2015 " US AMATEUR RADIO NUMBERS REACH AN ALL-TIME HIGH". If Amateur Radio was/is 'dying off', I don't remember [that]. 73

10. N5HZR

Yisrael, first of all, holy cow, what a great QRZ page you have. That's a way to make a difference!

You have a lot of really great suggestions, and that ARRL article about record numbers made me really double down on my activities to get more people involved in the hobby, when it came out. It really disappoints me when people spend time talking about gloom and doom, instead of spending that time getting someone else involved. If the first half of the 20th century was the golden age of radio, this must be the Platinum Age of Radio. Equipment is cheap, information is free, and plentiful, and the interest in makers, builders, and preparing for loss of communications has never been higher.Thanks for your info, and I hope you weathered hurricane Matthew!

11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it's fear. It's simply aversion.

Back in the day, having technical knowledge was considered to be a good thing, not something to fear or have an aversion to.

The term "Technician" used to attract people to the hobby.

We have to face facts. In today's world, people, especially younger people, interested in technical hobbies and "technology" have a lot of better choices than ham radio.

N5HZR likes this.
  12. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're kidding right? College courses to pass a ham radio exam?

The tests have never been easier but it's never been a problem for teens and even younger to get amateur licenses if they want to. There are 7 year old kids passing the Extra test !

You don't need "a lot of time taking many college courses". You just need to want it enough to learn a few basics.

If there's a problem with the tests, it's that they don't challenge our young people enough. Dumbing down ham radio testing even more is not the solution.

Our young people are not getting dumber. Just the opposite in my view. We do them a disservice and we're killing the hobby by assuming they are dumb.

13. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

A good analogy with the wrong perspective - drivers license ,
    You can not memorize operating a motor vehicle , you may be able to memorize the written test , but you still have to pass a driving test with a examiner in the car with you .
    I got into ham radio late in life , even though my parents handed me a Heathkit catalog in 1962 , they also sent my off to military boarding school , nobody there was a ham so I forgot about it , ten yrs. ago I got my ticket and wish now I would have gotten in earlier , electronic is a huge subject and I regret having a short time to learn it as much as I would like .
    I think there is a mix of issues here , there is room for hams to have different approaches , ie I like DX and fixing gear , many others in multiple clubs I belong to are very interested in volunteer side of things , thats all well and good , but many of the members are not interested in technical stuff and can not put together a station and get it working well , that's aside from building radios , amps , skills etc.
    I am a little disappointed that I find myself helping many hams with the basics , and I do not not know near as much as I want , I need lots of help diagnosing issues , but buy [ when I can , test gear ] .
    I do have the skills to do surface mount components and many of the tools .
    But this is a technical hobby .
    I think there is a value to getting rid of the wrong answers , trick questions etc.
    If you can not change your , maybe that is part of getting a drivers license ?

N5HZR and N0IRS like this.
  14. VU2KDS

VU2KDS Ham Member QRZ Page

It is all fine and a great help to those really interested. Why this commercialization, if at all you want more people to appear for the exam and like to encourage all why don't you provide a e-book.

73'
    VU2KDS

15. N5HZR

Great idea, thanks. This is in the works! Our initial request was for a physical document.

Standby, more follows<g>...