ad: k1jek

New Site on Magnetic Loop Antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2BRI, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2BRI

W2BRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Recent updates to my site:

->Images and Notes from other Loop Builders

http://www.standpipe.com/w2bri

Also, working fast on finishing a complete step by step guide to building your own magnetic loop.

Brian, W2BRI

2. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

W6TH,

I've not ventured outside of twenty meters with my two loops. Are the other bands active at all? My S.T.L. will tune to 18MHz. perhaps we can meet one Saturday morning on 17 meters. My quarter-wave vertical with drooping radials up twenty feet is my power antenna. A hundred watts to it and I can bring in Europe quite well. The loops are just experiments. I'm intrigued and amazed something small as them work over hundreds of miles. In time the loops will be mothballed. But the vertical stays.

Kraus

3. AE2J

AE2J Guest

Just took a look at your new website.. I think its just great. Glad that someone with true amateur spirit still is around to share knowledge and experience with the rest of us. Believe me if I had known about this website in 1952 I would have gotten on the air with a Magnetic Loop Antenna.. Copper tubing was cheaper in those days and you could get surplus vacuum variable capacitors for a song off of the surplus market. Oh well, I guess my timing was wrong. Keep up the good work, and lets get a bigger picture of the dog. He looks like a good Scout.

73's Allan AE2J : [​IMG]

4. KL7UT

KL7UT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you done any testing with large diameter Coax?  I have at my disposal some 1 5/8" It is flexible hardline that is actually AL with a copper plating for skin...

Since I work in Broadcasting I might be able to aquire a short length of 3-1/8" Coax...  Hummmm... 160 * .25 = 40 meters... well mebe not THAT much! [​IMG]

5. KL7UT

KL7UT Ham Member QRZ Page

I should mention that in the late 70's I had a DDRR (Discontinuity Directional Ring Radiator) which is essentially a horz. loop with an intregrated ground plane.  It was about 8' in diameter made of 2-1/4" auto exaust pipe and used (at first) a glass peanutbutter jar lined and covered with AL foil as a cap... It worked fine, on 20 and fourty!  that is until I raised the power input to about 100W from 25...  the jar exploded!

With a vaccuum var cap it handled the high voltage no problem.  I checked into the SEA net from Sagami Japan regularly with it.

6. K0YNE

K0YNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't let some of these guys get you down. Writing something and putting it on QRZ seems to allow criticism even about a good topic. I know. I had a good topic and was received the same crap. Keep us informed about how things are going. [​IMG]

7. W2BRI

W2BRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Update:

More sections added on how to build your own Mag Loop.

Most of the instructions are complete -- enough to get you on the air...so enjoy.

BTW-- I am looking for contributors for the site. If your interested and have pictures and stories I'll post them.

Brian, W2BRI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.