New Shack Photos

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

My shack is in the basement. No window. I think I'll survive. And if MB thinks you can install a new window in the side of a house for $1K... well, all I can say is I'm glad I live in my house and not his.

Dale

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to stir the pot, and I couldn't care less about shack windows, I will say that installing a window in a brick or stucco (cement & lathe) sided home isn't particularly expensive, in my experience.

We just had a very large picture window installed in our 40+ year-old stucco-sided (very strong, thick stucco -- essentially 2" thick cement stuck to wire lathe stapled to plywood, and it all had to go) home in Los Angeles. The dual-pane (thermal) sliding window cost $1500 because it was custom-made, dual-pane and large (about 108" wide by 72" high), but the total "job" cost $2200, including the labor to remove the wall section and install, level, trim and caulk the window. Thus, the "labor" part of the job was $700.

It took a crew of three an entire day, about 9 hours or so, to do the job and I'm glad I wasn't one of them!

They also had to haul out the materials removed, which probably weighed about 1000 lbs or so and took ten or fifteen wheelbarrow loads to haul out of the yard onto their truck...

WB2WIK/6

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For XAS:

It was MB who said that the cost should not be over $100, then $300. I said it is more like $1K to $2K with all of the things that you have to do concerning building permits, etc.

For WIK:

My wife and I were out in Las Flores, Rancho Santa Margarita, Orange County, last month. It rained two days while we were there. We drove down to Oceanside and then out to Escondido, and it rained there! My wife's cousins who live in Oceanside were amazed that it was raining and they have lived there for almost 15 years.

I am 58 and have had the RA since I was 56. It is no fun! But, you can't feel sorry for yourself. If you do, then you won't live very long. There is a woman who lives in the neighborhood who acts as my alternate judge for general elections (she is one of the few Democrats in this neighborhood - the county requires someone from each party to be the judge and alternate for the general election - I have been the judge for going on 20 years), who has had RA for over 25 years. She has her "days" as well. But, she is still going and she isn't much older than I am. RA can hit children, although women seem to be much more likely to get it than men. About 15 percent of the people who have it have what is called "RA negative". There is a chemical that appears in the blood in 85 percent of the people that tells the doctors that you have the condition. In the other 15 percent this is not present. The lack of this chemical makes it very difficult to diagnois the condition. Thus, it becomes much more advanced before the doctors finally determine that you have RA. Unfortunately, I was among this 15 percent!

Anyway, enough for now.

Glen, K9STH

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glen, it sure doesn't rain much in Southern California, and I don't blame them for being shocked.

Although, Orange and San Diego Counties do get more rain than my area (L.A. County), statistically. Don't know why. Close to the beach they also have this lovely fog that rolls in most nights and doesn't roll out until late morning, keeping it a bit cooler there. East-coasters don't understand why San Diego, 120 miles "south" (really southeast) of Los Angeles, is actually cooler, and almost always cooler, than L.A. is. It's the ocean, and the fog.

San Diego is also MUCH cooler than, say, Sacramento, despite being almost 500 miles farther south. There's no place on the east coast where a location 500 miles farther south is a cooler place. Here, it happens all over the place due to the terrain.

As for windows, we don't need permits for this kind of construction, here. A permit would be required for altering a load-bearing wall, or adding square footage to the house. Installing a window in an outside wall of a single-story home doesn't fall into either category.

WB2WIK/6

5. K9STH

Another thing is that most people don't know that Los Angeles is actually east of Las Vegas. You have to go northwest from LA to get there!

My daughter does have air conditioning, but my wife's cousins, who live in Oceanside on a bluff overlooking a golf course, don't. Their house acutally has all of the ducts, etc., for air conditioning, but when they had the house built, they never had a compressor, etc., installed. According to them, there are only 2 or 3 days during the entire year that they might use air conditioning.

Then, there is the Dallas area: We definitely need airconditioning!

Glen, K9STH

6. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ Nov. 01 2002,14:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    Then, there is the Dallas area: We definitely need airconditioning!
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

About 10 years ago, I worked for a broadcasting company that had properties in Dallas. The station there needed help building out some mobile units so they flew me in, in the middle of summer.

I thought I knew about summer heat until I worked outside in the daytime heat of Dallas. Good heavens, that was the most miserable three weeks I have ever spent. Not since have I worked under those extreme conditions, including working sports events out of a television mobile truck. Everyone on this project agrees that we'd much rather work in 20 below cold than that kind of heat, because we could always shed clothing in the cold.

7. K9STH

For NCR:

If you think that was hot, just wait until 1980! Seriously, the summer of 1980 was known as the 100 days of 100. Although the official weather reporting station for the weather bureau had been removed from Dallas Love Field in 1974, there is still an FAA tower with the same weather equipment at Love Field. Starting on June 1, the temperature at Love Field hit atleast 100 degrees F for 101 days continuous. Now, at the DFW Airport, it did &quot;drop&quot; to 99 on two or three days, thus officially, there was never 100 days of 100. Some days the overnight low was in excess of 100 officially at DFW!

But, to everyone in this area, the temperature at Love Field was considered. People wore &quot;T&quot; shirts with the slogan &quot;I survived the 100 days of 100&quot; on them. Now, if you really want to be miserable, go down to Houston where the humidity is often near 100 percent with temperatures only 3 or 4 degrees below that in Dallas. The humidity really adds to the problem.

During 1980, people were buying 400 pound blocks of ice and putting them in their swimming pools trying to cool down the water. Basically, the effect was about the same as adding one ice cube to a gallon of boiling water. The drop in temperature of the pool water was normally less than 1 degree!

But, we do try to schedule our winter for January 1st, 2nd, and 3rd just to make it convenient for everyone. Actually, we do get below freezing several days each winter, and below zero every two or three years. Also, we normally see snow three or four times a year. But, usually by the second day after the snowfall the temperature is back in the 60s or even 70s. What we don't like is when the temperature hits about 29 or 30 degrees and we get a couple inches of rain. The resulting ice will tie up the area for several days. That isn't any fun at all! A good ice storm happens several times each decade.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.