New Shack Photos

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As promised, I finally got some photos of both the main shack and the AM shack taken with a decent 35 mm camera. These have been scanned and uploaded to my website

http://home.attbi.com/~k9sth

The photos replace the old ones taken with my cheap Polaroid digital that takes lousey photos! The AM shack is pictured as well.

There are various Collins, Heath, Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, Johnson, WRL, Tempo, National, RME, and homebrew items thereon.

If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer and the photos turn out small (they should be full screen), let me know and I'll tell you what to do in your setup which allows AT&T webpages to be seen full screen. I don't know what happens between Microsoft and AT&T, but there is a "switch" that causes this with AT&T webpages.

Glen, K9STH

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice photos, Glen!

Did you see the November '02 issue of CQ magazine, featuring my neighbor Joe Walsh WB6ACU and his nine nostalgia ham radio operating positions, which occupy most of his house?

If you haven't seen it, take a look, you'll really enjoy!

Steve, WB2WIK/6

3. WA6CAW

WA6CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice photos............need to do something abpout that "rat's nest" of wiring in the photo. But that is a common phenomenom in most ham shacks. Professional is as Professional does. And life is like a box of chocolates too.

In your remember when section, I didn't notice the old "Vocaline" hand carried or mobile lunch box. But I guess it might be considered cb, since it was on the GMRS band. It didn't take much to move it to the 440 band though, just a little adjustment of the plate lines on the output tube. Haven't seen much on the Gonset 6 meter linear with a sigle grounded grid tube (832)? I made many dx contacts with it, and the gooney bird communicator I.

Also, since I teach a class on TV formats and some history, the B and White test pattern is an interesting thing to show some newbies. I have done that here where I work, and most think it is some kind of puzzle.

http://www.videouniversity.com/tvtestpa.htm

This also shows the new digital test patern.

I still can remeber when I used to stare at the one with the Indian head for hours, waiting for the programming to begin.
    That was when the local TV station was operating with an amateur radio call sign, W6XYZ. It then became KTLA, channel five. The year was 1947, and several other stations around the country used amateur call signs also, prior to 1947.

Now this relates to TV, and there are lots of nostalgia web sites on this topic, so I am sorry that I digressed.

4. N0PU

N0PU QRZ Member QRZ Page

Hey Glen;

You don't happen to run Gonset twins mobile do ya?
    Maybe with an Elmac linear?

Thanks for the walk through my teen years...
    Enjoyed the tour a lot...

Harry N0PU

5. N0XU

N0XU Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen:

Great photos! One question, though: do you have enough ballast on the other side of the house so it doesn't tip over??? That's a heck of a lot of hardware....:D

73 de Drew N0XU

6. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Who said Boat Anchors?? Stop it!

7. K9STH

Actually, Vocaline made the AT-30 which was basically the same as the Class "B" Citizens' Radio Service transceiver but covered 421 to 449 MHz instead of 460 MHz. It was rated at 0.3 watts output. It was available in two models, one for 110VAC/6VDC and the other for 110VAC/12VDC and sold for around $90.

My AM shack is in my office which is in the middle of the house and the main shack is in a two car attached garage that hasn't had an automobile in it since the 3rd day after we bought the house in April of 1972! Thus, there is some offsetting weight in another part of the house! Also, on the other side of the garage is about 85 percent of my antique / vintage radio collection. At least that helps balance the slab in the "garage"!

The only mobile units that I run anymore are a Uniden HR-2510 for 10 meters, a Uniden FTH-600DT trunk mount for 2 meter FM and a TR-7850 for 2 meter FM. However, back in 1965 when I was a junior in college at Georgia Tech, I did run the Heath MT-1 Cheyenne and MR-1 Commanche for AM mobile. This was when I was working for the Motorola Service Station in Atlanta, Georgia. Then, my senior year in college I went to work directly for Motorola and started running FM mobile. Going from the Heath mobile twins to a "small" control head made my wife VERY happy! In fact, to this day, even though she doesn't really have any interest in amateur radio, she definitely insists on having 2 meters in all of our vehicles (just in case!).

With as many pieces of equipment that I have around, avoiding a "rat's nest" of wires is extremely hard. Also, I sometimes replace some of the gear with other boat anchors that I have on shelves that are not shown. I will probably take some photos of the shelves to use up the film in my wife's camera. My eldest daughter was actually married in a civil ceremony the middle of August, but she and her husband had a religious ceremony this past Saturday. We were using two different cameras and used several rolls of film. There were about 5 photos left on the last roll of film so I took them of the shacks. We got them developed Sunday afternoon at a local supermarket 1 hour film developing (their machine broke down just after they got our film developed but not printed - took over 5 hours but they did give us one roll free).

I know of Joe Walsh, but I haven't seen his 9 shacks! My wife finally allowed me to take over the smallest of our 4 bedrooms as a workshop for doing alignments, modifications, etc. But, she is still keeping the other two "vacant" bedrooms as guest bedrooms. They were in use over the weekend since her eldest sister and my brother-in-law came in for the "wedding" as did my youngest daughter (who left her husband at home to "babysit" her "baby" (a Sheltie!).

Anyway, this set of photos came out MUCH better than those that I took with my cheap Polaroid digital camera. I really need to get a good digital camera, but until I get things straightened out with Hartford Insurance Company about long-term disability benefits, I have to watch what I spend.

Glen, K9STH

8. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

Neat shack Glen!

Lot's of history in those photos. Would be interesting if someday to know who sat in front of those radios way back when.....

Bet they warm the shack nicely!

Ah, the good old days of tubes indeed!

[​IMG]

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glen, pick up the November issue of CQ, you'll like it.

Re cameras, having owned about five or six digital cameras now, I usually resort to my 35mm Nikon F2, all-manual, no-automatic anything camera, and then take prints to the local Target or Walgreen where they have excellent machines (Minolta or Kodak) that scan the prints, digitize them and put them either on a floppy disk (2 to 8 pics per disk, depending on the resolution) or a CD-ROM (20-40 pics per disk, ditto the deal), for a very cheap price, and you run the machine yourself, so it only takes a couple of minutes.

My local Walgreen has a brand new machine that does a superb job and they charge $4.99 to scan as many photos as you want, and put them on a disk. Again, YOU supply the labor, so they do nothing except ring it up when you're done.

The obvious advantage is once you're done, you can use those photos anywhere, without having any drivers or connections for the digital camera. Another, bigger advantage is that I know precisely what my Nikon F2 can do, having owned and used it for 20 years, so the prints are always perfect! Can't say that for any digital camera, quite yet -- they're too automatic and often focus on precisely what I don't want to focus on, etc.

WB2WIK/6

10. K9STH

I normally use an old Minolta XG-SE, sometimes a Pentax K-1000. For B&W I use my own darkroom. However, even though I have a good color enlarger and can develope color film, it is much easier to go to one of the 1 hour places. Then, I scan at 300 dpi (even though my eldest daughter who is a commercial artist insists that anything over 150 dpi is wasted) just in case I want to enlarge the photo. If the original photo is small (this is especially true on older color prints), I scan at 600 dpi.

Besides the color enlarger that can take up to 6 x 6 cm, I have a B&W enlarger that can also handle up to 6 X 6 cm, and an enlarger that can handle up to 5 x 7 cut film. Now, that is 5 inches by 7 inches! Works great with my 4 x 5 (inch that is) view camera negatives.

My wife just uses one of those "point and shoot" Kodak 35 mm cameras that cost about $20. Actually, it takes pretty good photos.

My old Cannon S-450 inkjet does a remarkable job on photos if you use the photo option and good quality photo paper. I use a Xerox XE-80 laser printer otherwise (it also is a flat bed copier that makes excellent copies).

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.