New RTL-SDR ExtIO library with extensive new features

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by PY2RAF, Aug 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi List,

Hayati Aygün released a new fork from librtlsdr providing trove of new features, enabling features provided in R820T that were (finally) made public by the leak of the proper documentation of its registers.

In my specific case, the eye-popping feature is the availability of a new ExtIO library, used in some software like HDSDR (which I use as a panadapter) with bandwidth control. This is especially useful in HF bands, where strong broadcasts nearby can be heavily attenuator with a narrower bandwidth.

I found use of BW control in VHF as well; for the very same reason; strong nearby stations generating signal images that can be just put outside the bandpass - and bye bye.

His ExtIO build can be found here (bonus point: it is open source) and requires rtl_tcp (download here) to feed the stream to ExtIO.

A big thank you to Hayati for the enhancements and evolution of librtlsdr.

- RF.

KA9JLM and K6CLS like this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. DH1KLM

DH1KLM Ham Member QRZ Page

4. PY2RAF

Apologies for the link failure - @DH1KLM provided the correct links in the above post.

5. KX4AZ

KX4AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

RF,
    Thanks for posting that....can you elaborate a bit more on how the rtl_tcp is set up in HDSDR to feed the stream to the ExtIO? I use HDSDR all the time with RTL-SDR and SDRplay devices but I could never grasp how/what the rtl_tcp feature would work, i.e. do you have to have a separate PC to receive the data from it etc etc? Thanks in advance for patience in answering dumb questions like this.

6. PY2RAF

Hi Bruce!

That caught me surprised too. So how the ExtIO worked up to now? The ExtIO driver talked directly to the RTL_SDR dongle.

Hayati's ExtIO talks to RTL-TCP, which in its turn, talks to the RTL-SDR.

No need to an external PC. Just run the RTL-TCP program (click twice) and then open HDSDR and it will work. It's just an extra step; ensure rtl_tcp is already running prior to firing HDSDR. No other extra configuration required.

Feel free to ask whatever other questions that you might have!

Best regards;

- RF.

KX4AZ likes this.
  7. KX4AZ

KX4AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It surprises me that the new bandwidth setting would have any effect for the direct sampling mode (used for HF) - shouldn't the new bandwidth settings only have an impact on the higher frequency quadrature mode, where there is a local oscillator and mixer stage?. Or maybe you are using an upconverter to move the HF signals to VHF?