New Radio Wedding to old Tubes

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI5GOT, Jun 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI5GOT

KI5GOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Friend introduced me to a very well maintained factory conditioned Heathkit sb-200 Amp. I would love to Marry it to my New FT-991a Yaesu without modifying the Amp whatsoever. I am willing to add whatever is necessary in-between. Suggestions?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What you need in between is a TX relay line buffer. The Ameritron ARB-704 (I think that's the number) is a popular one, but there are lots of others.

It's easy to build that modification right into the amplifier, which will then make it "universal" so it can be used with any kind of transceiver, and that's what most do.

I don't know what a "factory conditioned" SB-200 would be. Those were kits, and although the "factory" built a few, I'd think 99+% of all SB-200s around were kits and built by the original owners. The "factory" hasn't even existed in decades.

3. KI5GOT

WB2WIK Thanks for the swift reply. The ARB-704 was what i had in mind to begin with but did not see a specific DIN cord available for it. I suppose one could be made. By "factory conditioned" i meant it had not been modified with the soft key or the new power board. I have experience with those already and kind of respect that this one had not yet be "violated" yet LOL and respected that.

4. KI5IHU

KI5IHU Ham Member QRZ Page

On the 450D I used the PNP10MY. Near as I can tell the Ameritron cable PNP8M is the one for the 991.

5. KI5GOT

Thanks. You are absolutely right.