ad: Alphaant-1

New radio for portable 10GHz

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KF7GD, Feb 24, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF7GD

KF7GD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking at a ft817nd for portable SOTA and microwave (using a transverter) Yes the 705 looks great but be a year before regular folks can get it, also on the high end of cost. I dont need 440, from what I read the 817 had a fair amount of drift that can cause problems. Is there a solution for this? Is there a radio I am missing? Currently I have an old ic 706 (the first version)... thanks. Art kf7gd

2. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Art. I had an original 706 a few years back and I know it was pretty drift on HF bands. 17 up was pretty off, 2 meter wasn't bad except on SSB / CW where it counts. I'm not sure if there is a TXCO option for that radio but would probably be a good investment if you can find one. It's a BIG jump from 144MHz to 10 GHz with a transverter!

3. VK3ALB

VK3ALB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Art,

I've used FT817's for over 10 years with transverters to 47GHz without trouble. Repeatability is great and stability is plenty good enough for voice without retune, well under 100Hz. I can't do CW so can't comment. This is all without GPS locking. Other 2m radios I've used are IC202 and FT290R MkI which are equally capable radios.

Unless you are fixed on seeing 144.000.00 on your display I think you'll be fine with the '817. Try and visit someone with a 10Ghz system and see for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Lou

4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You are going to find the drift in the 10Ghz transverter to be about 100 times worse than the IF rig unless you lock the 10Ghz transverter to GPS.

Rege