ad: wmr-1

New quantum receiver the first to detect entire radio frequency spectrum

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7MHI, Feb 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

<snip>

Advantage? Huge instantaneous bandwidth.
    The noise you don't want? Put it in orbit.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dunno what you are trying to say here Bob....

1) The huge 'instantaneous bandwidth' is limited by the bogus signals produced by the inherent intermod of this nonlinear system AND 2) the 'huge instantaneous bandwidth' must also be matched with an antenna of same, which is, as you might imagine, problematic.

On your second point, the cosmic noise is a problem in all directions, It is not just an issue of being 'earth bound interference'. Below 900 MHZ the sky noise dominates. Even in orbit you are surrounded by 'sky'.

This diagram shows the effective temperature in degrees Kelvin. Note the rise in cosmic noise below 900 MHz. So the 'sensitivity' is set by sky noise, not receiver noise. Your SINR will be compromised by the sky noise, no matter how super-sensitive the RX system temperature.

Chip W1YW

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. N1JXQ

N1JXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

All of this quantum-this and quantum-that.

I'm going to go make a quantum-bologna and mustard sandwich. That's about how much quantum-anything matters in my life. 73s

5. W3XS

W3XS Ham Member QRZ Page

Quantum is what happens betwixt your ears.....its what consciousness is about.

KG5ILP likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If physicists have humor, I have yet to see it.

Then again, I invented the invisibility cloak...

Baddum ...dum!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  7. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I was referring to the mechanical noise you mentioned.

Your noise plot is a narrow band sweep. It's not a useless endeavor to explore how the instantaneous character changes. One man's noise...

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I see you still don't get it.

[​IMG]
    The plot is from 0 Hz to 1 TeraHz. That's a "narrow band sweep"??

Below 900 MHz the sky temperature is higher than the RX temperataure. Above 10 GHz the sky temperature is higher than the RX temperature. There, the sky noise swamps and sensitivity of the receiver. BTW, that is hardly a 'narrow sweep'.

From 900 MHz to about 10 GHz, not exactly a "huge" bandwidth nowadays, we already have receivers capable of system temperatures less than 10 degrees Kelvin, and "huge" bandwidths. They are tiny, too.

Mechanical vibrations happen everywhere, including the near-vacuo of space, where space weather and ionospheric drag can invoke small oscillation vibrations.

You simply cannot isolate this system without a majorly damped optical bench.

Chip W1YW

9. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2021-2-25_8-3-2.png

Attached Files:

10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

What receiver has a 9.1 GHz simultaneous(not swept) bandwidth?

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BREAKTHROUGH LISTEN SETI receivers; autocorrelator driven spectrum.

I ask you the same question: can you provide a reference which demonstrates a 9.1 GHz simultaneous SPECTRUM--not bandwidth (you have it wrong; bandwidth is 'channel width')) for a Rydberg atom receiver? Show us a diagram.

I don't want to explore a paper whose information you may or may not have correct. Same for me--hence why I showed the diagram. Not an artists concept. D-a-t-a.

Thanks.

12. KG5ILP

KG5ILP Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe it too!

13. WF7A

WF7A XML Subscriber QRZ Page