ad: Alphaant-1

New quantum receiver the first to detect entire radio frequency spectrum

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7MHI, Feb 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't care about a quantum receiver, I just want a transporter so I can beam hot cheerleaders to my house.:D

By the way, I just looked at it, now it's something different.

AC0OB likes this.
  2. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If I want something that's really wideband, I'll listen to my trusty regen.

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Now it will be easier to determine where alien hams operate their winlink stations.

AC0OB likes this.
  4. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

"unleashing new potentials for soldier communications, ... awareness and electronic warfare".
    Is that all you humans can think about? Anyways, - The Daleks have had quantum tech for ages.

Now that I read the full article, instead of speeding to a conclusion, it talks of - to only 20Ghz!
    Even some amateurs, and daleks, have experimented with Terrahertz transceivers. It's a joke.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  5. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Even some amateurs, and daleks, have experimented with Terrahertz transceivers. It's a joke.

6. N5PTV

N5PTV Ham Member QRZ Page

The crazy thing is that a quantum receiver is bigger on the inside and changes frequency just by observing it. Very frustrating.
    -Matt

KG5ILP and KD8DEY like this.
  7. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so assuming the cat is both dead and alive are these radios transmitting in both the light and dark dimensions at the same time

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean the Twilight Zone??

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The backwards baseball cap.

Intermittently sticking Caps Lock keys and ineffective spell checkers - the "BAIN" of computer keyboardists everywhere.

https://bfy.tw/QQy9

G7DAZ likes this.
  10. N2BRG

N2BRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys,
    Great Deal....
    I just orderd a two pac Quantum Receiver from AliExpress great price too.
    U.S. $1.95 and free shipping. The only issue I have to wait roughly a month to get it delivered.

[​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/a/8K9yuAI

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  11. KE7AZ

KE7AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

And you won't know if the operator's cat is dead or alive.
    KE7AZ

12. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Using a quantum radio will make your cat die.

Well, maybe.

KG5ILP likes this.
  13. WD4IGX

Facts and the universe don't care what you believe or don't believe.

14. WD4IGX

Sure it would - if it wasn't a load of nonsense from the start.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are my critiques of a Rydberg (atom) detector--

The design of a 'Rydberg detector' apparatus yells: ‘noise’. This is known because similar optical/laser demodulations schemes are used in the gravity wave detectors. Such detectors are optical ‘benches’ requiring inherent and profound isolation from vibrations from the ground and air. To wit: mechanical vibrations are a huge problem for the Rydberg detector, whereby mechanical ‘noise’ produces additional noise in the demodulation.

In other words, they also make dandy detectors of earthquakes; trucks going down I-65; toilets flushing; and the dog playing on the floor in the kitchen. To get to point 1—

1) A Rydberg detector is useless unless the cell and lasers are dramatically isolated from mechanical vibration. It is unlikely that this isolation can be realized in a mobile or portable defense environment ;

Just to note, laser systems and mechanical vibrations are not a new problem, and certain mitigation ‘shock mounts’ were developed for CD players (laser systems that demodulate digital pulse codes). As digital signals require no dynamic range to speak of, that system is far, far more robust to vibration than a Rydberg detector. A Rydberg detector is an analog wave detector (electric field vibration at RF) and requires dynamic range. Mechanical vibrations are a profound limiting factor.

Next, let’s assume that the sensitivity of the Rydberg detector is better than SDR receivers and/or cryo-cooled receivers. I don’t see any evidence for that, but let’s go with that. I shall also assume that the quantum number degeneracy is high, so that the electric field for large quantum numbers of the Cesium atoms (for example; one described in the Army publication) is sensitive to modulation by outside electric fields gathered by the antenna(s), over a wide bandwidth. Here are the problems:

2) A Rydberg detector is a non linear electric field environment that will produce sum and difference products of moderate to strong (modulated)outside electric fields (such as from the EM field gathered by an antenna). In other words, it is a great generator of passive intermod (PIM), thereby generating BOGUS ‘signals’ across a wide, wide bandwidth. In the absence of others factors, this will raise and limit the useful noise floor of a Rydberg detector;

3) There is plenty of noise to start with, independent of some super-sensitive detector. That is because SKY NOISE DOMINATES the RECEIVER SYSTEM TEMPERATURE at frequencies below 900 MHz. That includes not only ‘cosmic’ noise, but RF marihuana grow-lamps; OLED displays; electric motors; and ionospheric and solar contributions –all-- not shown in the diagram. In other words, the sky itself is far noisier than the noise of the sensitive receiver, and you cannot make the sky noise ‘go away’. So your super quiet receiver hears moderate and limiting sky noise when you connect to the antenna. SKY NOISE doesn’t go away. It sets the limit of detection threshold of modulated signals for a Rydberg detector, thereby obviating any benefit afforded by its inherent, apparatus noise figure.

There is a reason why lower frequency receivers, such as HF receivers, are NOT cryo-cooled for greater sensitivity: its because the sky noise dominates so dramatically that a super sensitive receiver fails to produce a better SINR .

I imagine there are other issues, but these three in themselves are fatal to claiming any benefit of a Rydberg detector from a sensitivity standpoint , especially from MF to L-band.

N1YR and KG5ILP like this.