ad: Alphaant-1

New QTH

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA7QQ, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So, the Wife & I finally made it to the new house in Florida. Might have to take down a few small trees, or transplant them, to put up the tower (Military surplus steel 15' sections). Will put up 2 sections with a 6' rotator topper.That's 36' to the top. For now, I will just have a 6 meter yagi (CC 5L) with longer boom & more elements, as the aluminum pile allows.
    I have to pour a rather large base, as the sandy soil will need more yardage (My guess). It will have a 10' 4" SCH.80 pipe with winch & pulley at the top for laying over the tower.
    I have some trees to play with on the southern end. (Property boundary is the tree line & we are already looking into the next lot over). Probably a 40'ish AGL 80/40/20 fan dipole. Maybe just 80 & 40.
    6BTV will go ground mount with foldover between the house & tree line towards the pond. Tower should be mid yard between the house & tree line.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...b49dae8e61420e!8m2!3d26.8417229!4d-81.9920952

STLs will abound.

Ed

W2AI, K1LKP, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks nice but neighbors too close to suit me. Looking at the aerial of the area I have to wonder if there is an HOA.

W9RLG likes this.
  3. AA7QQ

No HOA at all. Neighbors are great. Already met them all in August, when I signed on the house & replaced the electrical service. Explained the ham radio (And that I would assist in mitigating any issues) & the 6 parrots. So far, we have had fresh eggs, homemade cookies, smoked venison & smoked mullet dropped off in 3 days.

All neighbors are just ecstatic to have the former homeowner gone, as She thought it should be an HOA. If you expand out, you can see 4WD trucks & swamp buggies in many yards.

Already invited several to a cookout this weekend. I'll get them drunk & see what they are really like.

Ed

N8AFT, W2AI, WZ7U and 5 others like this.
  4. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to Hurricane Alley! You’re about 170 miles southeast of me (Cedar Key). Don’t know how conditions are down by you, but when I first moved to CK and hooked up the rig for the first time, I had to check the antenna connections because the background noise level was S-zero. Turned out the antenna was fine; it really is that quiet here.

Good luck and good DX! :D

5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Smoked mullet... yum. My Dad and uncle used to go mullet fishing, using a large net rather than a pole. Long, long time ago when we lived south of Miami. Good luck getting the rig back on the air. :)

WW2PT likes this.
  6. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice piece of property.. love the pond! You can go /MM from your backyard :cool: Looks like some decent space for antennas.

7. AA7QQ

Been to CK. Transported a forklift there about 10 years ago for a shellfish company. Cop pulled me over on the way into town, just to make sure I knew where I was going. Dropped it off. Went in a small lunch place & was asked if I was the Forklift guy. Quaint little town. Kind of like where I grew up in Cohasset, MA.

We lived in the Melbourne area for a few years 02, 03, 04 & know the hurricanes intimately. Made dry ice for 5 months straight.
    We also lived in Port Charlotte & it was pretty noisy. Where I am, it should be rather quiet.

Ed

WW2PT likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool! You've got your own alligator pond! :p:p

WM2Q, KD2ACO, KJ4VTH and 1 other person like this.
  9. AA7QQ

I dragged my 12' mullet net around the desert southwest, because I knew we would end up back here.
    I have already planned a brick propane grill, smoker & pizza oven. I already know the inspector pretty well. In fact, he wants me to do electric service swaps, after he saw how I did mine, without a disconnect.

Ed

10. AA7QQ

2 small ones in the pond. Not even worth the effort, but the neighbors all would like to see them gone. Who knows....

Ed