ad: wmr-1

New QRZ Mobile App: Ham Callsigns by N5IKD

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please don’t if it’s going to have the same silly 30 day sign-out and require the Authenticator code to log back in. It’s silly that my eBay or Amazon will stay logged in for months and months on my secured computers and devices but QRZ’s only lasts 30 days IMHO. If they’ll increase this to a more reasonable period (3 months minimum, more preferably) then that might be better but otherwise I personally prefer no login. Just my opinion.

If the email showing is really a problem, maybe the email field can just be left off in the app...?

N5IKD likes this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Dear, I think this is an infringement of the GDPR Regulations in Europe. I personally think you need to remove the app from Europe until you address this. Of course you may have already done so. I don’t remember a privacy policy stating you had though.

PY2NEA and N5IKD like this.
  3. KD5BVX

Isn’t there an approval process in the app stores that would check for compliance before it would be approved to show up for download in those areas? Or no?

4. N5IKD

N5IKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe,
    I understand and this will be addressed soon.

5. N5IKD

My plan is to require a one time verification of your QRZ credentials to see the email. One you have verified your credentials you will not have to do so again from the same device.

KD5BVX likes this.
  6. KD5BVX

OK that won’t be bad at all then. I wish the site here would take some pointers haha

N5IKD likes this.
  7. KR0DAK

KR0DAK Ham Member QRZ Page

The story says that this app replaces two older apps that are being removed from the app stores.

KD5BVX and N5IKD like this.
  8. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding!

N5IKD likes this.
  9. N5IKD

Yes, Apps have to be actively maintained as phones and tablets evolve. The mobile manufacturers are continuously improving their products and deprecating functions that get in the way.

KD5BVX likes this.
  10. N8OFP

N8OFP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very disappointed, this new app is NOT compatible with my Samsung tablet...
    Please don't retire the existing app, at least it works on my tablet..

11. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job! I noticed issue - image dimensions are incorrectly proportioned on my Xiaomi Redmi 7 Note

12. KD5BVX

Old app is going away, yes. No longer supported. What do you mean not compatible with it? What happens? Old OS version? You can always use the QRZ site through a browser... plus compatibility is being added all the time so you may want to provide more details other than Samsung tablet... there are dozens of those from over the years...

13. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Found it on my IOS App Store HamCallsigns.....Thank You

N5IKD likes this.
  14. N8OFP

N8OFP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I realize it is old but it what I have and it still works fine. It is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Model SM-T713, running Android 7.0
    When I try to install the app the Continue button is not functional and it says "Not compatible with your devise".
    Yes I can access the QRZ web page from the browser, but I use the "old" QRZ app a lot when working portable HF.

15. KD5BVX

OK. Yeah, I would suspect it is currently too old to be compatible. Doesn't mean more compatibility won't be added but if you know anything about app creation, it isn't just a snap your fingers and it's done. Maybe he will be able to expand compatibility but I wouldn't count on it as a definite. I understand what you're saying and sympathize but I'm just speaking realistically here...sorry.

N5IKD likes this.