ad: MyersEng-1

New QRZ Award: Master of Radio Communications North America

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Jun 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks, i just got the email. and confirmed submitted for phone and digital. I've always liked these as a incentive to get out and make contacts since its a 50/50 getting people to actually confirm on qrz. since I don't like contesting qrz awards are nice goals for me.

M1WML likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps that should be brought up with the, ahem ... QRZ board of governors.

M1WML likes this.
  3. K3KEK

K3KEK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Got it, great awards :)

M1WML likes this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fill us in OM. Why are you so concerned about the "QRZ board of governors?" Something we all should know?

Strange arena to post this query, especially since apparently you're not using the qrz.com logbook.

Just looking to stir a pot and you ended up here?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    M1WML and K2NCC like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This award program is a fine incentive to get on the air and make contacts.

My quibble is the title of certificate, to some people, may sound like a CERTIFICATION, such as completing a CEU course (as an example), or a Masters degree, and so on.

Here is an example where the confusion might arise, by comparison. Note that not all these degrees actually say 'master of science':

Best Master's Degrees in Wireless Communication 2021 (masterstudies.com)

Your opinion may differ.

Chip W1YW

M1WML likes this.
  6. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be happy to become a QRZ Logbook user if it could be made user friendly for those of us operating from more than one QTH, involving several locators, IOTA and non-IOTA QTHs, etc.

The way the database is set up forces me to make a new "account" for a new time period every time I change QTH. Of course I can make a shortcut and put all QSOs under one QTH, but that would mean that most of my QSOs would be uploaded with incorrect QTH information. That is quite contrary to the point of logging and uploading and helping others to achieve their awards.

All the accounts required also requires me to follow up all of these accounts one by one. It is just too much work. I know because I have already done this for eQSL.cc, which seems to have a similar database structure in this respect, and I am not going to do it again.

LoTW has solved this by making "Stations Locations" available across call signs, QTHs and time periods, requiring one database, and making uploads and downloads very simple.

So, my question is: Are there any plans to make QRZ Logbook more user friendly for users operating for more than one QTH?

M1WML likes this.
  7. CT7ANU

CT7ANU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

India, sri lanka, Fernando de Noronha and some other hams that I made contacts with are asking for payment to confirm on qrz or lotw. Since then I stoped trying to complete this awards. Some of my ham friends payed to get the confirmacions but I will never pay for that.

Cheers, 73.

M1WML likes this.
  8. NK0V

NK0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just out of curiosity, how much do they ask for an electronic confirmation? They would be hard pressed to get anything out of me. The awards certainly don't mean that much to me that I will pay for an electronic confirmation. A normal QSL card I will consider a SASE if I want it bad enough. Everyone's mileage may and probably will vary on that however.

M1WML likes this.
  9. WN1MB

I'm not concerned. I'm curious. There's a difference.
    Not at all! It's the perfect arena, as the original post featured a new award, on which clearly states "The QRZ board of governors hereby certifies that..."
    ...says the "Ham Member" to the "XML Subscriber".
    Pot, meet kettle.

M1WML, N5AF, KK9W and 1 other person like this.
  10. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

The the magic of radio waves reaching out across the street or around the world is definitely exciting. Having such an award would look good in any ham shack.

The titled award leave me a little... well, wide-eyed. I guess I am tripping up on the verbiage.

noun, verbiage speech or writing that uses a plethora of words.

That said... IMO, Go easy on me cuz, ....the award looks to say a technical, electronic, radio skill set (that it doesn't test for directly) coupled to numbers up to the "magic and will of the radio gods."

I probably read it all wrong LOL. Simple as it is... have radio FUN with it. WA6VVC / WA6CAM

M1WML likes this.
  11. WN1MB

What is superfluous to some is ego life support to others.

M1WML likes this.
  12. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually I am concerned too, having 3 callsigns and operating from other countries and territories
    But if you are calling from different country let’s say on holidays you need anyway new call and new logbook defined with for example DL/ prefix. You can manage that within one QRZ account (with some limits). Many standalone logs manage that and upload logs automatically in right logbook.
    When working portable you can still manage correct locators.
    Not perfect but working. Maybe it will be improved in the future.

I have to admit that qrz paper awards are for me very nice looking to not say the best looking and I paid to get several of them.

You don’t need to have your logbook here but in most cases when hams are hearing your callsign on the air they will look on qrz.com to find out who you are and where you are and it can import the log from lotw and fill it for you. QRZ recognizes qsl from lotw but not the opposite.
    73 Thomas

M1WML likes this.
  13. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With different call signs it probably can be managed, but I have several QTHs with the same call sign, and then the solution is a new account for every for change.

When it comes to the QRZ.com page, I always keep it updated. When I change QTH, I also update the locator, IOTA reference (if relevant), etc. in the relevant QRZ.com page, so that anyone downloading the information receive correct information. Likewise, I want the information about my station and operation is correct in my QSO partners' logs, and if I can't I'd rather not give them incorrect information. So until QRZ Logbook can help me provide and confirm correct information in a less labourious way, I'd rather stand by, even if it excludes me from the QRZ awards.

M1WML likes this.
  14. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is very nice from you Guys

we are very grateful of your encouragement…

Now it’s time for the

MASTER OF RADIO COMMUNICATION THE CARIBBEAN EDITION

this will look great on the wall too

hey QRZ make it happen please

here is another hard one to beat

MASTER OF RADIO COMMUNICATION AFRICA

this will be hard to get as only a few stations available for that part of the WORLD

and the MIDDLE EAST
    we will Be struggling to get this one but well worth it Amateur Radio speaking

KD2BBC

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  15. K5RFS

K5RFS QRZ Lifetime Member #512 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I had the same issue, but my VI confirmed contacts are now being counted twords the award.

M1WML likes this.