New QRP SSB rigs now hitting the market

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KL7KN, May 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can do pretty well with 20m SSB at 10w, but I have either height, or height and a 2-el yagi to play with, depending on where I operate.

Things are a lot more challenging near the ground.

2. M0ODV

M0ODV Ham Member QRZ Page

SDR QRP! I like the RS-928..around $450 1.8-30Mhz 10 watts.plenty of good features.Made in Hong Kong.or China.

3. KK4UTO

KK4UTO Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you folks think about the uBITx radio. 80 meter to 10 meter CW and SSB for $139 shipped. main board is built just need to connect everything. And an active community too.

4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding the uBITx, if you go to their page, you will see this -

WARNING: As shipped, your µBITx probably will not be compliant with emission requirements. It has been found to generate spurs and harmonics. There are now simple fixes available to address these issues. Make sure you apply them prior to operating the transceiver on an antenna.

If you dig into all of the problems, you will see that it has trouble with CW keying, distorted audio, relay performance, low audio output, and many, many more.

In my opinion, the potential to be a great radio may be there, but the execution makes it more of an ongoing hobby in itself. So, I wouldn't get one if you expect to use it on the air in the near future. Get it because you like puzzles, writing code, and dinking around with stuff all night. ;)

KD8ZM likes this.
  5. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, but other than the fact it doesn't comply with FCC regs and drives other hams nuts trying to decipher it, what's the problem? :)

6. VE3WI

VE3WI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to clarify, the warning above is from the uBITX.net website. That site is maintained by ZL1AXG to document user mods to the uBITX. As the site says, most of these come from the BITX20 group on groups.io. The developer's (VU2ESE) website is hfsignals.com.

I have one, still in the box. The stuff on uBITX.net is more than a little off-putting, so it will likely sit on the shelf for a while longer :-(

Dave, VE3WI

7. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one in the box for quite a while. Sold it on eBay unopened, and now I'm glad I did!

8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a Bluetooth link and use a tablet to help see the FT-817 display?! What do I need?