New QRP SSB rigs now hitting the market

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KL7KN, May 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

yaesu's ft-818 promo sheet says:
    'With the superior upgrades, the new FT-818 is guaranteed to contribute to your business by serving the customer base who continue to be attracted to the features and specifications included in the FT-818.'

the superior upgrades are: 6w out on external power
    included tcxo for digital modes
    1900mah battery (instead of the original
    1400mah)

yaesu should have said '20% more power!!', snort.

the message i get is the original will be re-boxed as 'new and improved'.
    at 6w i guess it is not a true qrp radio.

2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. 20% more power sure has a better ring to it than saying the 818 has one more Watt output power. One Watt is not hardly enough to burn away the losses in a 50-ft piece of RG-178 coax. However, it may be better to see the screen since it uses an OLED system, if I remember correctly. Might beat carrying a pair of reading glasses along to the top of the hill, in my case.

A "repackaged FT-718" might not be such a bad thing — depending on what's in the package with the 718. {;->

KA0USE likes this.
  3. KA0USE

reading glasses? try 'binoculars' for me! the screen does enlarge, but only for the really basic stuff, like frequency.
    i've been wondering about a clip-on (to the radio) magnifier...

KK5R likes this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Daylight-UN91171-Clip-On-Spectacle-Magnifier/dp/B000WV3Y1E

[​IMG]
    Just $15. Might have to mod the radio case tho. Prolly just as easy to clip these to your baseball cap - they will flip up out of the way.

Or get one of those Bluetooth links and use a hacked Android 'fone or a Amazon Fire tablet to see/set frequency.

I would have thought the radio being labeled as a FT-817Plus would have made better marketing sense.

KK5R and KA0USE like this.
  5. KA0USE

hey, that's a pretty good idea! thanks!
    and 817plus would have been more honest.

KK5R likes this.
  6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone purchased one of these and tried it?

I don't see any reviews on eham. Only a few videos on Youtube.

7. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried SSB at 10w in the field last year (20 meters) - never made a single contact. So, I started learning CW and now I only do CW. I just didn't have good results at all on low power SSB.

US7IGN likes this.
  8. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

20m SSB QRP can be difficult, especially if you live in an area where there aren't many stations within a single hop.

While maximum distances workable are often less, I find 40m SSB far more reliable for QRP and rarely fail to make multiple contacts when I go portable.

However SSB QRP contacts won't necessarily come to you - one has to work to get them. Some tips at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/qrp/success.htm and also http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/gateway/foundation.htm

KD8ZM likes this.
  9. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And Ham Radio is the better for it. Thank goodness for adversity. Every obstacle is an opportunity to excel and anybody that can cruise down the highway while tapping out 15 WPM like Brady can has truly excelled.

Al

KD8ZM likes this.
  10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Al. Well stated. "That which does not kill a man, makes him stronger." lol