New QRP SSB rigs now hitting the market

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KL7KN, May 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff,
    Since you have and use a SK-1A, would you care to write a bit more - say in the way of a review? I've not seen anything on the usual ham sites and am genuinely interested in this (and other) new rigs.

Photos inside of the case w/ top & bottom of the board would be really nice as well.

Thanks in advance.

KK5R likes this.
  2. KL7KN

KK5R likes this.
  3. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

KL7KN likes this.
  4. KL7KN

Vibroplex has dropped You Kits - effective mid-Feb.

KK5R likes this.
  5. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured as much. To avoid ordering the SK-1C from China can be done by this seller and, perhaps, by some others on the same website:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Youkits-SK...iver-fully-assembled-and-tested-/282353736876

Problem is that [some] Chinese radio sources are not very good at standing behind people here in the US who want to assume the role of dealers for their products. Same thing happened twice with the X108G.

In my opinion, this is a poor way to encourage a dealer network. Those Chinese sources appear happy as punch to put people in a position to order the radio from China and have it arrive within a few days from there. The only alternative is to buy from someone who bought a bunch (at a reduced per-unit price when bought in bulk?) and avoid ordering it from China. This is ignoring the tradition here in the USA of hams buying a radio from a big radio store and depending on a warranty/dealer network for repairs.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

As when in the old world of novice operation, it would be very interesting if the radio had three bands: 40M, 20M and 15M. It should not be too hard to do. If they made a small Low Pass Filter board, perhaps a daughter board, and used diode switching, it should not be too hard.

This kind of rig would be snapped up immediately if it were only $225 but if $250 delivered, a lot of hams would scratch their heads for a minute or two and then reach for their wallets. An increase in power to 12W would also be a good deciding factor.

This is just an opinion, though.

If You Kits had a scout reading these posts, it should cause them to have a few board meetings to decide if they are making enough money on their radios and if they would like to at least double their sales.

Just the rumor of a new radio or an upgraded version would cause other QRP sources to catch their breath.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    W7CJD and KL7KN like this.
  7. KL7KN

Robert - that is the odd thing.

You Kits (the same folks that market the HS-1B is Asia) also sells a "single band radio on a board" - right now for 40M - even tho the image in the ad clearly shows the unit displayed to be an 80M version.

The "Asian market" is significantly different than the market in North America (US/CAN) - and I believe that shows in how You Kits is approaching the N/A market as, at best, as secondary market.

If I could get a 20 SSB/CW rig for $99 shipped, I would buy it today. And just like I did for the MFJ-9200, would work up a technical manual for the same.

KK5R likes this.
  8. KL7KN

[​IMG]
    This is the 40M board from the ad and can be seen - while the display show 7 Mhz - it is labeled as an 80M unit. The layout is very different from the -9200 as well - A new product.

KK5R likes this.
  9. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a neat little HF mobile SSB Transceiver about 30 years ago, but it was stolen 5 years later.

So when I recently decided to come back on HF Mobile, I considered making a single band SSB Transceiver again . . .

Looked at various kits currently available, which were reasonably cheap.

Then looked at various PA board kits, as I'd want at least 50 watts output . . . and also looked at suitable cases, and other bits to complete the project.

BUT then I realised I could buy a complete Multiband 100 watt rig secondhand, like a TS50S for the same kind of total price, £250.

So that's what I did !

(what was better still was that it was damaged in transit, due to poor packing by the seller, so I got half my money back and then repaired it)

Roger G3YRO

KK5R and KL7KN like this.
  10. KL7KN

Good point Roger.

My use of QRP is normally sans any mains supply or away from the RV (see my Glacier images on QRZ page). Now, low power and CW seems to be more fun after gaining a wall full of QSL cards.

The fun thing about this hobby is that it can be and is many different things to many different people.

thx

KK5R likes this.