New QRP SSB rigs now hitting the market

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KL7KN, May 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a great time to be a ham.

You Kits now has a single band SSB/CW rig.

[​IMG]
    Right now, 40M only.

Input 10-15VDC (me likely)
    Output @12VDC is listed as 5 to 6 watts and @13.8 listed as 8 to 9 - certainly this is in line with my experiences with the -9200 (a HB-1A/HS-1A clone) and the HB-1B MKII.

This has a 50Mhz DDS (again, very much like the -9200/HB-1x series and has a nice display panel.
    also does CW. Full band coverage + a bit.

I have to imagine that other bands will appear at some point, I'm hoping for 20M.
    Sold assembled only at $189 USD. That is an eye wateringly good price point - even for a single bander.

But wait

The folks at CRKits (the folks that sold the KN-Q7A kit) have introduced a single band SSB/CW rig as well.

[​IMG]

Single band 40M or 20M! Sold as a kit, if purchased from the US dealer it ships for $155 USD (+shipping) QRVtronics will assemble the kit for you for just an additional $70. That puts it to with in +20% of the You Kit offering and they offer a 20M rig. power out is listed as 5-10 watts @13.8, which is a bit odd. (Perhaps 10 W on 40M and 5 W on 20M like the KN-Q7A) Offers full coverage of the band via a DDS VFO. Other bands "coming soon".
    Very Spartan, but comes with (some) documentation so lacking from the You Kits offering.
    (Note - price is $140 USD if purchased from China direct)

Both rigs come with the mike/speaker mike.

Did I mention this is a great time to be a ham, esp if you like to do QRP in the field....?

A sub-$200 price point should drive some decent sales numbers on these rigs. Check the respective web sites for more data - the CRKits also has extensive set of hi res pics on their site.

Should be a fun summer.

KA9KOJ, KC9YGN, KK5R and 1 other person like this.
  2. KD9CKB

KD9CKB Ham Member QRZ Page

there is also the BITX40 if you don't mind putting the kit together, the main board comes assembled, wire it up and done,, its only $59 shipped and comes with everything but the case to mount it in,, very simple 40m ssb qrp rig,, I have been making contacts on mine no problem

http://www.hfsigs.com/

KK5R and KK6WPX like this.
  3. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't look like good value for money to me.

gregW:) OH2FFY

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On the other hand, I think they are a pretty good value in comparison to other kits and equipment!

G3SEA and KK5R like this.
  5. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

For 4 times the price of the YouKits mono-band rig of unknown performance , you can get a new Yaesu FT817 with coverage from 160 up to 70cm , proven quality , warranty , spares backup , quality build construction.......

gregW:) OH2FFY

KD8ZM likes this.
  6. KL7KN

Greg - I'll have to say the You Kits build quality is now on par with any commercial rig on the market. You are IMO, correct on the warranty and spares + any kind of technical documentation. Actual performance of these rigs awaits posted reviews by any user base that develops.

It may just be that You Kits doesn't see very many hams in the larger (non-Asain) market as particularly technically adept - ie - that they work on or modify their rigs. Given the dearth of articles on the web about modifying any of the new generation SSB/CW rigs on the market, I can understand that POV. If you can point to any modification articles for say, the HB-1B or any of the CRKits rigs I would be appreciative, as I'm sure others would be for the information.

As for the other, 'value' is in the eye of the beholder. In the end, total sales figures will tell the tale on value perceived / value received. I can certainly see a market - perhaps a small or niche market - for mono-banders for the casual operator that wants a 'low cost' rig to carry on holiday or other out-of-shack experiences.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

K8AI, G3SEA and KK5R like this.
  7. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually it is a good value. Compare the YouKits SK1-A rig to the MFJ 9440.

Price
    YouKits SK1-A ........$189
    MFJ 9440 ...............$259

Coverage
    YouKits SK1-A........7000-7300 Khz
    MFJ 9440 ...............7150-7300 Khz *

Modes
    YouKits SK1-A...........SSB and CW
    MFJ 9440 .................SSB only *

Tuning
    YouKits SK1-A............Digital Tuning and Readout
    MFJ 9440....................Analog Tuning and Analog Readout

Output Power
    YouKits SK-1A...............9 watts or 5 watts at 12 volts
    MFJ 9440......................10 watts

Optional Internal Battery Pack
    YouKits SK-1A..................Yes $29
    MFJ 9440..........................No

* If you want CW and 7000 - 7150 Khz coverage on the MFJ 9440. You must buy the optional MFJ-415B board for $49.95 thus bringing the MFJ 9440 over $300.
    http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-415B

MFJ 9440 Website
    http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-9440

YouKits SK-1A U.S. Website
    http://www.vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/d84.html

I don't own the YouKits SK1-A, it is a much better deal than the MFJ 9440.

KL7KN, G3SEA, KK5R and 2 others like this.
  8. KL7KN

I would add that the MFJ is a conventional VFO and the You Kits is a 50Mhz DDS VFO. Both my HB-1B and MFJ-9200 (a clone of the HB-1A from the You Kits folks) use the same DDS VFO setup and are stable enough to copy PSK-31 and RTTY.

Good times indeed.

KK5R and KB2SMS like this.
  9. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

The SK-1A looks very much like an outgrowth of the EK1C, CW-only triband. I have one and my only negative would be that the filtering is quite wide for CW so when bands are crowded it's not ideal. However the flip side is that it can RX SSB, or even be used cross-mode I imagine (haven't tried that yet). Overall performance and reliability of the EK1C has been good so far, for the price I'm happy. I do assume if I have a problem I'm on my own, though.

In fact have the EK1C here at work with me today, hoping for a lunch time break in the weather to go set it up and make some contacts.

10. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I own an SK-1A and it's a fun little rig. I have the optional YouKits battery pack. I find that I can operate for a couple of hours of it doing a combination of SSB and CW. It's a lot of QRP bang for the buck.

KK5R and KL7KN like this.