New QRP Rig? Looks like a winner!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

o_O

My SOTA/POTA activations (and chases) with my KX2, as well as those by people using the LNR Mountain Toppers and other tiny HF transceivers beg to differ.

Chris

M1WML, SA3BOW, KB2SMS and 10 others like this.
  2. KM9G

KM9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the European spec model, I'm sure the US model will have alignment with US freqs.

M1WML likes this.
  3. KM9G

KM9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, I'm waiting for it to materialize.

M1WML likes this.
  4. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you suggesting that you operate HF with the radio in your hand, transmitting into a whip antenna that is attached directly to the radio? If so, then I take my hat off to you - when the 817 first came out, I had a go at it and the results were soul destroying.

Martin (G8FXC)

M1WML, K4YNZ and AB9TX like this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't realize that was what you were referring to (assumed you meant any kind of antenna), but if so, yes, I do that too. I've even used it like a big HT via the internal mic and speaker to make contacts from Virginia into France and California and Oregon (the latter two being nearly as distant from Virginia as France), as well as a number of less distant (for the US, those contacts would be into Europe for you) contacts. I use an MFJ-1820T whip for such activities.

I used the same whip with my 817, but had little success with it attached directly on my radio. It worked fine mounted on a tripod though (that is in my QRZ profile pic). To be fair, I didn't spend much time trying to make it work directly on my 817 before getting the KX2.

Chris

M1WML, WD4IGX and US7IGN like this.
  6. KX2T

KX2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Another sub par radio from China, 705 killer NOT!

M1WML, KA2FIR, F4HPX and 3 others like this.
  7. G8LIY

G8LIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Somebody who operates Handheld..

KD8ZM and M1WML like this.
  8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm, I have enough difficulty talking to Canada with 100W into a large doublet! :oops:

Martin (G8FXC)

M1WML likes this.
  9. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

no you cant steal the title from MFJ, they are the harbor freight of ham radio!

M1WML, CD7CKU, WD4IGX and 3 others like this.
  10. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Every new rig is supposed to be the next killer, destroyer, or game changer etc.. I get a kick out of it every time I see that suggested in the titles of articles and videos. It's been suggested many times with every new rig (QRP or otherwise) that comes out but it never seems to pan out. Meanwhile Yaesu is still successfully peddling a QRP rig that's basically two decades old. I have my doubts that this new Xiegu is going to finally be the killer of all other QRP radios, but I'm not against more options.

M1WML, KA2FIR and F4HPX like this.
  11. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pointless? Ops are working the world (and activating numerous parks and summits) every day with 5-10 watts. ;)

M1WML, KB2SMS, WD4IGX and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.