ad: AbAuRe-1

New Parks on the Air Program Updates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, May 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jason, W3AAX, joined me to discuss some of the many new website features of the Parks in the Air program. There is more great stuff in the pipeline as well.

M1WML, KC1OCA, KC1NNR and 9 others like this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Jason and his team have turned every day into field day. What a fantastic, fun program!

M1WML, KC1OCA, K0WLO and 6 others like this.
  3. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was used to the old version. I am not complaining about the new one as it is easier. It will take some exploring. Gonna activate a park tomorrow and see how easy it is to upload.

M1WML and K4MID like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

From the 'hunter/chaser' aspect it looks like you can keep it simple or go really in depth with it. I'm sure as an activator it will take some getting used to. I need to do that this summer. Good luck with your activation hope to find you out there!

M1WML, KC1OCA and K4MID like this.
  5. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't want to jinx the activation but the location has not been activated before. It would be my luck that someone is there when I show up already activating it. K-6559 Fort McKavett, Texas.

M1WML, WD5GWY and K9GLS like this.
  6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I won't tell a soul. :D:D:D

M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. WB2PMC

WB2PMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was used to the old website, and am not totally familiar with the new one yet. One thing I do miss is the ability to list all the parks I have on file so far. Maybe I just havent found it yet.

Rick, WB2PMC

M1WML and N1IBQ like this.
  8. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Parks on the Air is one of best programs in ham radio. Many thanks to the people running it and the activators and chasers.

K5VZD, M1WML, N1IBQ and 7 others like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

POTA is great! It gives a lot of HOA bound folks the opportunity to get on the air and be chased as 'DX':)

N5ILQ, K5VZD, M1WML and 3 others like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank goodness for POTA. Before POTA and the associated qualifications, definitions, classifications, rules, regimentation, disqualifications and such, it wasn't possible for radio amateurs to drive, bike or hike to a national park, set up their gear, get on the air and make some contacts - effectively putting a park on the air!

Oh wait. Yes they could have. Never mind.

W7IVK, M1WML, AJ6KZ and 8 others like this.
  11. K5TER

K5TER Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree about POTA -- only discovered it a couple of months ago and love it! Done 3 activations and chase a lot. I love the new website: especially that you can put it in LIST format and sort by frequency and then it updates correctly. The park lookup is handy too. Keep it up guys!!! [BTW, my Wolf River coil 'rocks']

M1WML likes this.
  12. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure why there's such negativity about the program. Of course you can take a radio anywhere and get on the air, but POTA puts some structure around it that results in a community of operators interacting with each other toward a common goal.

I suppose it's like saying baseball has no point because people don't need a defined game, rules, etc to get out and throw a baseball around. True, but the structure is what makes it interesting.

Chris

NV2K, M1WML, KT5WB and 6 others like this.
  13. NU4N

NU4N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I am impressed with the new lay out. Thanks

M1WML likes this.
  14. KI4MYD

KI4MYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck on your activation! FYI the update doesn't change anything about uploading your logs. That feature is not implemented yet. You still are required to submit your ADIF via e-mail to k#@parksontheair.com.

M1WML likes this.
  15. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried to activate The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World but they said I had to pay $159.00 if I wanted to enter the park.

Then, security was called...

smh

M1WML likes this.