New or old radio installation in New 2022 Honda Odyssey

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KD7DCX, Jun 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KD7DCX

KD7DCX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've just replaced my 2000 Honda Odyssey with a new 2022 Odyssey. I have 3 questions.
    Should I move my ICOM 2800h to the new vehicle or look at a new dual band radio?

What is the best place to install the new radio and antenna?

I have a recommendation to have "Car Toys" install the Antenna <roof mount>. Anyone have good/bad stories with these folks?

2. KD7DCX

Wow... I can't be the first to want to install a radio in my new Odyssey. Is Car toys ok? I've got an old ICOM 2800h in my old Odyssey. Should I use that or get something newer?

George

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You may not know that Car Toys is mostly a WA / OR company. Most non-PNW hams will have no idea who they are. They're a car stereo installation company. I've had them do work a few times installing stereos. They always did a good job IMO.

But I'd be very leery about having them install ham gear - you should ask at your local store what their experience level is - do they have someone on staff who has a lot of radio experience? Maybe even a ham on staff? Ask lots of questions.

As far as the vehicle goes, pretty much a "car is a car". No reason your Odyssey would present problems differently than any other cars.

Regarding the radio, use what you want - you can always change it out later. The wiring will largely be the same. If you like the radio, use it!

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KD7DCX

It was the local HRO that recommended Car toys... I understand the caution.

George

5. KD7DCX

ok.. I'm really out of touch... The local chain <Car Toys> will install a ceiling mount antenna at a cost of $400-$700. I have no idea if this is a good value or a rip off....

Any thoughts?

george

6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Way too much $$ to do a roof mount antenna. Given your area I think there are a couple of companies in the greater Portland area that do mobile public safety radio installs. They should be able to put a rooftop NMO mount in and run an appropriate 12VDC + cable to where ever you will mount the body of the radio for a lot less $$. As for the radio if you simply want to work analog FM keep it. If you want DMR or some other feature your current radio does not have then upgrade.

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like a lot. I never wanted to drill a hole in the roof of my new car, anyways.

Consider a magnetic mount, or one of those nifty door jam clamps, like from Diamond.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003077

I used one of those on the top lip of the rear hatch of my Subaru.

8. KD7DCX

Thanks... Just need to find the alternatives...... Will put a magnet mount on top until I find them....
    George

9. KD7DCX

I always the the best radiation pattern/range for the antenna was achieved by putting the Antenna squarly on the top center of the roof. Is that not true?
    George

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes! I put the mag mount in the center of the roof.

But I put the clamp on at the edge, because that's what I had.

I use a Diamond antenna that doesn't need a ground, needs clear air around, not blocked by the car body.

(Sorry I am not where I can see the model of the antenna)