ad: vanity

New NCVEC 605 form bears serious consequences for those convicted of a felony

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2AI, Aug 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is so typical of claims like yours, make the claim and tell the person challenging to go find the evidence. Does our justice system charge a guy with a crime and then tell him to find the evidence? How about one or two links from a reliable source?

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? I'm usually pretty good about pointing people to references. And can you seriously not work Google? Are you really so disconnected from the news that you haven't seen any of the recent footage of cops planting evidence on innocent people before they were even arrested, or people who have been recently released from death row based on DNA evidence?

How about 4.1% for people on death row? http://phenomena.nationalgeographic...re-wrongly-convicted-researchers-do-the-math/

So of the people sentenced to the needle, more than 4 in 100 shouldn't even be in prison at all, as determined by at least one study published by one non-tabloid source. That's just the people sentenced to the needle.

3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Partially true. The new 605 will be used starting 21 Aug 17. The Felony Question data will not be transmitted to the FCC by the VECs until 7 Sep 17.

Here's the pertinent info from her email:

"The new form takes effect for all VECs and VE Teams on August 21, 2017 and must be used at exam sessions going forward. Older form versions will be obsolete and should be discarded. FCC has indicated that all VEC’s must begin transmitting this additional data to FCC starting on September 7, 2017.
    Amateurs will see the new information displayed in the FCC license database and in their license manager record when logged in to their license account."

Regards,
    -Bruce

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

75,40 & 20 were the ones that came to mind first.

5. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How does a form bear "serious consequences"?

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you think any database is accurate?

Plenty of horror stories about the various state motor vehicle DBs being wrong, county court and child support DBs being wrong, federal no fly list being wrong, etc.

Hope it doesn't happen to any of us.

Too late already did for me ...

7. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not my job to find the evidence of your false accusation., .027% is a high false-positive rate for convictions.?" As far as your "one study", there is on Google, "one study" that says the earth is flat."
    As far as cops planting evidence there is less of that than priests abusing kids.

KB5GXO likes this.
  8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

It really boils down to nothing... you can be a convicted felon... answer NO on the form and the result is the same as I answer NO (I'm not a felon... really). Unless there is a complete background check (not NCIC) on ALL forms it has no moxie.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  9. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, there's something to be said for that. To my knowledge, this is "unfunded" meaning that the FCC isn't getting extra resources to a) confirm the answers, b) process the "felony: yes" responses or c) fight any challenges.

So, I believe we'll see
    A) won't happen, as you've suggested. There's no checks that the answers are correct.
    B) will happen, but with a pretty high bar for denial. The FCC will have to process the yes answers but does not have a scoresheet for doing so. The result will be that few yes answers will be rejected because of the next item, C...
    C) challenges on denials will be addressed case-by-case but c'mon, the last thing the FCC wants is to spend more money on amateur radio nonsense, particularly around licensing, prior to any rules being violated. They really don't have time to fight these kinds of fights.

So they'll approve most "felony: yes" applications, take the path of least resistance with most denials that are challenged, and only really dig in on a handful of extreme cases, just to maintain their right to do so.

The net (I predict) will be a little bit more work but not much change.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

What will be really interesting is how the FCC handles this situation, if it ever arises

- a ham submits "felony: yes"
    - the FCC asks for supporting info about the felony
    - that info is posted publicly
    - the FCC grants the license..

So far, this will be typical.

Now, let's say that some hams (or even ham organizations) are opposed to this person getting a license and chime in, either before the ruling or to challenge it once made.

What will be their criteria for doing so? How painful can they make things for the FCC? Would the FCC overturn a decision in light of such opposition?

Point is, it's a can of worms. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just...extra. More than we had before.

It'll be interesting to watch it all unfold over the next few years.